Puget sound Spear gun Recommendations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaksonbrown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking to buy my first Speargun.... I will be hunting Lingcod, Cabazon,halibut, surf perch, etc.... I was wondering If I could get some advice on a good gun?

I understand a persons size has something to do with it.. sooooo.....

Im 6"1' 225lbs....

Looking for a good all around gun.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Samson

Biller 42 might be suitable. There are more exotic guns, of course. Problem is that there are too many to keep current on. The Italians alone make about as many varieties as there are species of bugs. A visit to Spearboard would be illustrative. Take a look at a comparable size Rob Allen. Call Florida Freedivers and ask about the new muzzle. The principle features of the foreign guns distill to light weight arrows and Tahitian heads or Hawaiian heads. These are not spearheads at all but sharpened points with a wing mounted fast to the shaft itself. Actually, they work pretty well despite the primitive appearance. Another aspect concerns the mount for the shooting line. Economical as usual, the euros fasten the string directly to the butt of the arrow. It works well with less drag than a slide ring mount. The Biller gun can easily be modified to this specification in all respects but I get the sense that you are going to be bottom plunking on SCUBA at close range and may be put off by unnecessary details. To this end, the Biller would do well and be faster to reload. Moreover, the Biller uses loop slings which are more convenient in some respects but can be a minor annoyance in sets of three as they may need sorting out before loading. With two slings, one can be stretched for close work and two employed for shooting in clear water.

Hey,
There is someone on the other board looking about the same thing!
Maybe you can hook up?
I tried spearfishing many years ago...wasn't worth the time nor the hassle.
I could go to Johhnys Dock and get it already cleaned and didn't need a license.
K

JBL or A.B. Biller. My only advice, "make sure it is a wood gun." I've used them all, and the wood is smoother, more accurate, and more quite. I dive in California--Santa Barbara and Monterey. I use an A.B. Biller looking for rock cod and a Riffe when looking for sea bass, big halibut, etc. Where exactly in the Puget Sound will you be hunting? I lived up there 20 years ago. I used to fish and spear fish all the time. I visited last summer and brought my boat and gear. My heart was broken. All the fish are gone--completely miss managed resource. Moreover, it seemed like almost everything was closed and/or had super short seasons. Anyway, good luck to you!

I live in a little town outside of Everett Wa called Snohomish,... It is sad,.. the fish are gone,.. I hear stories of how great it was back in the day.... unfortunatly we have the tribes up here that are completely free to harvest anything and everything with virtually no limits or seasons....Thanks to the wonderfully wise decisions of our grand government.......But hey,... us horrible spearfishermen are actually to blame according to many... hard to compete against a single shot spear gun VS gill nets and dredges....

Samson-

Samson....I believe you refer to the Bolt decision which allowed tribes to take 1/2 of everything--fish, deer, elk, ducks, clams, everything. The other 1/2 to be collectively shared by commercial, international, hook and line sportsman, spear fishing, etc. Doesn't seem very fair. When the treaties were signed our government was dealing with "sovereign nations"--I know, big joke..but still. "After" the treaties were signed all the members of these so called sovereign nations were granted US citizenship—I believe by Kennedy. Doesn't seem very fair or legal for that matter. How can you be a sovereign nation and a US citizen at the same time? Moreover, these sovereign nations get to determine how "watered down" their citizens can be. Essentially, there aren't any full blooded citizens of these nations left. No one cares! Certainly sets up the us vs. them syndrome? I try not to think about it. I say close down hunting and fishing "completely" and "forever" in the state of Washington just to burn their #$%@! Then they can get 50% of nothing! Anyway, the fishing, hunting and spear fishing in the State of Washington used to be flat our awesome!

Yea, its pretty sad,.. I take my boat out crabbing alot...I love it.... I am allowed by law 2 pots per liscenced fisherman....meanwhile,... I watch tribe boat after boat after boat leave port with over 50 pots per boat... I mean stacked 10 feet high! Its unbelievable.... and they do it year round..... It has decimated the crab fishery here.....Never buy a dungeness crab in a supermarket....

Samson-

Theres a variety of guns out there and everyone has their preference. For close quaters, smaller fish I use an old Arbalete made in France got that back in the 80s and still works great. For the gulf The Biller48 is what Ive been using for a few years. Then there the Rob Allen 120 its got a good punch but overkill for me so it usually stays on the boat. If your just starting out you migh want to shop around some forums for a used gun and /or try diff brands and lenths before you go all out on a gun.

A small pneumatic is a fast easy gun, No spearin halibut in the puget sound, I wish.

Happy Diving

Hey Gassman,..

I am new to Washington, and the game regs here are a nightmare to figure out.... Where does it say that you cannot spear halibut in the sound?? Does this apply to the straight? The san Juans? Also, I have been unable to see where it says that you cannot spear Salmon either... I am sure this is not legal, but I have not been able to actually find it in print...

Can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom