50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 55 years old
certified 1999
padi, sdi/tdi, nacd, ssi
getting (yes at this stage in my life) divemaster, also pursuing IANTD deco/adv nitrox, would love to "retire" and instruct
favorite shop(s), Splash in Arlington, VA & Columbia Scuba in Columbia, MD
I'm always looking for dive opportunities - also have property in Duck, NC and just starting to explore shore/wreck diving opportunities.

Guys, I need some help. Going on a cruise in January, planning on diving at least four places I haven't been yet, signed up via the cruise line excursions for Dominica but was rejected because I'm over 65. Anybody ever been rejected for age?
I signed for St. Lucia and was accepted. I will also dive Curacao and Tortola, making my own arrangements.
I'll try to make arrangements for Dominica via a different dive shop, assuming that is the problem. Any comments re. these sites?

Guys, I need some help. Going on a cruise in January, planning on diving at least four places I haven't been yet, signed up via the cruise line excursions for Dominica but was rejected because I'm over 65. Anybody ever been rejected for age?
I signed for St. Lucia and was accepted. I will also dive Curacao and Tortola, making my own arrangements.
I'll try to make arrangements for Dominica via a different dive shop, assuming that is the problem. Any comments re. these sites?

Rejected by whom? The Cruise Line? The Dive Operator there?

Fact is Age Bigotry is alive and well, unfortunately.

Age 61

1. Sydney Australia
2. Coffs Harbour NSW - North Solitary Islands about 3 trips a year, PNG, Solomons, Fiji, Indonesia, Thailand, Maldives (liveaboards and resorts in last 5 years)
3. Dive Quest in Mullaway
4. Advanced in 1989 and started in 1972 with no qualifications, no wetsuit, no gauges or own gear didnt get a BCD (horse collar) until 1977. Bought first pressure gauge in 1975.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live? Fruitland Park, Florida and Grand Blanc, Michigan (snowbird)
Where do you dive? Great Lakes in summer and Florida in winter
Favorite dive shop? The Dive shop on Corunna Rd in Flint, Mi and Underwater Adventures in Leesburg, Florida
Current certification? PADI... Advanced

rejected because I'm over 65
Did they give a reason? One of the best divers I know is 69, and I once had a student who was 91. He deferred his tuition for a few days as he was kayaking to the next island and back - round trip of over 30 miles.

I have over 100 dives in the BVI. You will love BVI diving and Tortola. If you haven't made arrangements yet I suggest you contact Blue Water Divers. They have a shop in Nanny Cay, a must see marina complex with shops, two restaurants and a hotel and another shop at West End. I would suggest diving from the shop at Nanny Cay. You can link to them from the Nanny Cay web site. Prices are reasonable, the staff is a group of super nice people. Make sure you do the SS Rhone, one of the best wreck dives I've ever been on.

Have you ever dived Guanaja in the Bay Islands of Honduras? That's paradise in the western hemishpere.

Good diving.

Angelo

Back
Top Bottom