H10 Ocean Maya in Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no1rookie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are planning a trip to Cancun in March and would like some info about the Blue Dive Diving Centre at the Ocean Maya Resort. Are they Padi certified? What is their staff like and what are their dives sites like?

Thanks

If you do a search 'H10 Ocean Maya' you will be able to check out a post I wrote last June entitled 'H10 - NOT recommended'. I would not suggest that anyone use the services of the on-site dive operation unless it can be proven that there have been improvements. In my post I noted that there were 10 divers plus the DM. It has come to my attention that the maximun allowed by the local regulating authorities is 8 divers per DM and that this enfraction is cause to have the operator's permits revoked. This information was obtained by 'word of mouth' and I could not verify it on-line. The dive sites are common to all the dive operations. The staff at Ocean Maya were friendly, but friendly won't save you in an emergency situation. There are many good operators in Playa del Carmen and Puerto Adventuras that will come and get you at your hotel (and drop you off) usually at no charge. Check out Diablo Divers - he's originally from Calgary and one of the most respected DMs in the PDC/Puerto Adventuras area. I will be in PDC in March myself - 23rd February to 15th March. If you are up to a road trip I will be taking the ferry over to Cozumel a couple of times. The reefs there are certainly better and worth the trip. If your holiday is only a week you may not have the time - unless your wife dives as well.

PADI lists these 5 for Cancun:

PADI Dive Shop Locator

Scuba Cancun S-609
K.M. 5 Kukulkan Avenue
Cancun, Q. Roo, 77500
scuba@cancun.com.mx
Scuba Cancun
Ph: (52)998-8497508
5 Star Resort/IDC

Scubacaribe S-15818
Hotel Riu Cancun
Av Kukulkan Lte 5 A
Cancun, Q. Roo, 77500
info.mexico@scubacaribe.com
Scubacaribe
Ph: (52) 998-8487151
5 Star Resort

Squalo Divers S-20985
SM 46 DV Luna Residencia California
Edificio 33, Departamento 301
Cancun, Q. Roo, 77506
info@squalodivers.com
http://www.squalodivers.com
Ph: (52) 998-8808675
Dive Resort

Dive Pro Mexico S-21283
Calle Jaleb Mz. 21, Lt. 116
Plaza Xcaret,Loc 2 y 3,SMZ. 20
Cancun, Quintana Roo, 77500
info@divepromexico.com
Ph: (52) 998 8923513
Dive Center

Dressel Divers Club S-20477
Iberostar Playa Paraiso Resort
Mayan Riviera
Puerto Juarez, Q. Roo,
sales1@dresseldivers.com
Dressel Divers Club
Ph: (34) 96-3561496
5 Star Resort

If you do a search 'H10 Ocean Maya' you will be able to check out a post I wrote last June entitled 'H10 - NOT recommended'. I would not suggest that anyone use the services of the on-site dive operation unless it can be proven that there have been improvements. In my post I noted that there were 10 divers plus the DM. It has come to my attention that the maximun allowed by the local regulating authorities is 8 divers per DM and that this enfraction is cause to have the operator's permits revoked. This information was obtained by 'word of mouth' and I could not verify it on-line. The dive sites are common to all the dive operations. The staff at Ocean Maya were friendly, but friendly won't save you in an emergency situation. There are many good operators in Playa del Carmen and Puerto Adventuras that will come and get you at your hotel (and drop you off) usually at no charge. Check out Diablo Divers - he's originally from Calgary and one of the most respected DMs in the PDC/Puerto Adventuras area. I will be in PDC in March myself - 23rd February to 15th March. If you are up to a road trip I will be taking the ferry over to Cozumel a couple of times. The reefs there are certainly better and worth the trip. If your holiday is only a week you may not have the time - unless your wife dives as well.
Thanks. We will be in Cancun on March 11. And thanks for the name of the dive shop as we are also from Calgary

Back
Top Bottom