Advice for travelling and diving needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaystars

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to diving (and ScubaBoard) and hoping to learn more so I thought this would be a good place to start. I did my PADI Open Water Course in the Red Sea, Dahab in September 08 that a friend of mine who already dives "made" me do and really enjoyed it. As a bit of a sun lover I haven't yet dived in the UK even though I live 20 minutes away from a dive centre as it is far too cold in my opinion!

I have now decided I would like to do my AOW so will be doing that in Thailand off Ko Tao in about 3 weeks. I am going to Hong Kong for 5 nights before heading to Bangkok and then the Gulf Coast and would appreciate some advice on various subjects.

Firstly I would like to get a shortie wetsuit and a mask, snorkel and fins for the trip as it appears that not every dive centre in Thailand includes those items when hiring equipment. I have seen a couple of wetsuits I like, the main differences being the thickness; one is a Mares 2.2mm and the other is a BodyGlove 5mm. I tend to be a bit on the cold side both in the water and out, for example in the Red Sea I was wearing a full arm and short leg wetsuit and when I was there most of the time the water temperature was around 27Ž°C.

This was fine but I found that on the second dive of the day I was a bit chilly and starting to get cold towards the end of the dive, mainly on the top half of my body even though I had full arms. My friend let me wear her thermal rash vest which helped a lot. So I don't know whether it would be better to get a 2mm and wear a rash vest if I am cold or whether I should be going for 5mm even in warmer water.

As for masks etc I have no idea what to look for really! Only ever bought these for snorkelling when I was a kid so any advice on that front would be appreciated :)

Also anybody who has been to either Hong Kong, Bangkok or Ko Tao before and knows whether I should wait until I get there to purchase these items as they will be cheaper and easy to find or whether I should get them before I go as there may not be much to choose from.

Secondly I will be taking a camera with underwater housing with me to play about with on dives. I got a FinePix F50 for Christmas and have been playing with the shutter/aperture/ISO settings but have never done any underwater photography before. I know that there is a lot less light underwater and am planning on taking it snorkelling when I get there to play with the settings but would be good to get a few tips if anyone has any :)

Thirdly I am hoping my paltry excuse for a travel budget may allow me to not only do my Advanced course but could also fund a liveaboard or two. I have been researching dive sites on the Andaman Coast after reading my Lonely Planet guide and have decided I need to dive too many places!

My list includes The Similan Islands, Richelieu Rock, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang and Ko Phi Phi. I know that I can get liveaboards from Phuket and Patong for these but the prices I have seen online are stretching the budget somewhat. I know that there will probably be cheaper options when I get there but I was wondering whether anybody has any recommendations of where to get good deals from. Also, if the worst happens and I can't afford to dive all the above sites what does everybody recommend as a must see above all else? I will be in Thailand from 20 January to 22 February so don't know if that will make a difference as to the marine life I am likely to see.

I know I have asked so many questions but really don't know what to expect when I get out there. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, whether to do with diving or just general travel tips. I also love my wildlife so if anyone knows what I should be looking out for (either above or below the surface) that would be great too. Thanks for taking the time to read this and a Happy New Year to all!

Jay

Planet Scuba among other shops on Koh Tao have a good selection of everything you describe. I doubt you will save much if you buy in the UK over getting it on Koh Tao. How is the Sterling Pound doing compared to the Baht presently? Maybe that will work in your favor as well. 5m in Koh Tao, well that is a personal choice but I venture to say that is overkill. I wear a skin all year round and dive the Gulf Side (Koh Tao) almost 100%. of time. A 3m shortie is most popular. Try your rash guard and then see if you want to buy a wetsuit as the water averages about 29c. I am sure the dive op can rent you one for the course. In fact the items you mention are generally included when you hire kit; I would be surprised if they weren't.

For your AOW see if you can complete the UW photography adventure dive.

Good luck,

WOW!!! you are getting a full package when it comes to training! Getting to see all those places and all while getting your skills! "Diving" the sites will really get you a heads up on all you need to know...plenty of topics to click on to view all you need to know and have fun doing it all at the same time!!! Have fun!!!

welcome aboard

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...
:sblogo:
... :colours::colours:...
banana.gif

Thailand? Ok ok rub it in ... lol. Very cool ... have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom