Do I Need a Wetsuit in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have only been diving in Aruba (am a new diver). I only dive in my bathing suit and t-shirt in Aruba as I find the water very warm....even diving 3 times a day. I am hesitant to go out and buy a wetsuit for Maui & Hawaii but the water is about 7 degrees cooler. Any suggestions? We have shorties and I am thinking those may be enough? I am a little person but I guess I have a pretty good "furnace" (for lack of a better word). I know my husband will need a wetsuit as he had to use the shorty in Aruba. Also, need a great dive operator for both islands. I prefer boats with a bathroom in them...yes it's a girl thing.

Thanks!

When are you going?

I went in Jan-Feb and everyone said 3 mil would be fine. And some on the boat laughed when I was in a 5 mil. But I was the one grinning after the dives as everyone else was shivering in their 3 mil and I was snug.

I use a 3mm suit whenever I dive in Hawaii, I try to just dive in T-shirt and short but I got cold after 15 minutes and I'm a cold water diver.

Al

Hmm, the Hawaii tourism board says the average temperature is 74F. That to me is cool enough that I want something when I am diving. I dive Bonaire, often with just board shorts and a rash guard. The water there is typically 80ish. So, I guess it will be up to you. When I was younger I would have gone in without a suit no worries. I might suggest bringing your shorty for the first dive. If you are warm, you can take it off. If you are cool, a 3mm full suit is not that expensive to buy, cheaper to rent.

The water's pretty comfortable here, but a suit can help for a longer dive or multiple dives per day. I often swim and snorkel without a wetsuit, but some people find that they want one, even just for snorkeling.

I have dove off the East Coast of Mexico (Cozumel / Cancun / Mayan) without wetsuits in the past and have always used a 3 mil in Maui (been there in Nov, Dec, and Jan mostly). My kids 13 / 12 are new divers and we are heading to Maui again in Jan 09 and they will have combos 3 mil and 5 with the jacket on just so they are warm. Its always better to be warm when under the sea...

I've never heard of anyone complaining about being warm underwater. I've heard lots of people complain about being cold under water. Draw your own conclusions.

FWIW - I wore a 5mm suit in Austrlalia on the GBR. Was I plenty warm? Sure. Was it more suit than necessary? Sure. Did I get cold, even after 5 dives/day? Nope. Did I get stung by anything? Nope.

I would like to ask pretty much the same question,except about Panama City and Destin Fla in late March..I have a 6 mil farmer john.I was thinking of getting a 5 mil one piece jump suite and using the 3 mil shorty if I needed..Do you think a 5 mil jump suite would be a good all around wet suite for Florida all season.Since I already have the 3 mil overall part of the farmer john..I will be mostly on the gulf side and around Destin during the year,,,,.any and all suggestions welcome

Assuming you are going in Jan - Mar time frame:

Based on experience over the past several Januarys the water temp will be in the mid-70s. Air temp will range from the mid-60s to the mid-70s with a possible excursion either warmer of cooler for a day or so.

That is very much in the personal comfort range where the number of dives done per day and per week plays as big a role as the temperature. I see people diving in everything from shorts and T-shirt to 7 mm with hood. Most people I've seen use a 3,4 or 5mm.

In addition to personal cold tolerance suit fit plays a big role.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom