Please help me choose a computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iilovepiink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for a reasonably priced computer that does NOT have the air integrated option. Currently I am AOW and Nitrox cert'd but want to become a Dive Master. Also, I was thinking of possibly becoming an instructor in the future. I might pursue tech diving, however it will not be within the next year and when that point comes I am not interested in cave diving, only deep and wreck penetration. Most of my dives will be in less than 100ft.

I'm giving all this info so that you guys can help me make a decision based on my future goals and needs. :)

I need a computer that:
1) has a backlight
2) operates in gauge mode
3) has audible alarms
4) nitrox capable
5) preferably less conservative
6) user-changeable battery

What are your thoughts on pc interface capabilities? Also, I heard that computers have a lockout mode for decompression violations, do they freeze up completely!?

I was looking at the Aeris Manta/ Oceanic Geo. They are basically the same comp so why such varied reviews?

Also, I have heard good things about the Dive Rite NiTek Plus. It says "NiTek Plus can calculate decompression stop times for required stops as deep as 90-feet." What does this mean?

Lastly, is there a difference in functionality between large puck-style (ex DR Duo) and smaller wrist style comps (DR NiTek)? I have heard that it is a personal preference for those divers who have to wear bi-focals, the larger numbers are easier to read.

Last edited:
Why are you against air integration?

As far as the size is concerned. I would suggest using the larger puck-style dive computer. Typically the smaller sizer are thought of as a dive computer and a watch. I have used two very similar Oceanic air integrated computers, the Atom2 (small) and VT3 (puck-style). I much prefer the puck-style for a more convenient screen layout and it is easier to look at, even though I have 20/20 vision.

Why are you against air integration?

As far as the size is concerned. I would suggest using the larger puck-style dive computer. Typically the smaller sizer are thought of as a dive computer and a watch. I have used two very similar Oceanic air integrated computers, the Atom2 (small) and VT3 (puck-style). I much prefer the puck-style for a more convenient screen layout and it is easier to look at, even though I have 20/20 vision.

Air integrated comps are significantly more expensive and I just don't trust them. I don't mind looking at my spg every so often.

The DR DUO has all the features you're looking for in a computer: gauge mode (bottom timer), backlight, nitrox, and inexpensive. It is a little conservative, but that's not such a bad thing. I have several friend that use the DUO and really like it. I like down-loading my dive computer profiles for a review tool and to log them, so I would recommend getting that option as well.

I also don't trust AI computers, because when they fail you lose all your info , unless you also have a backup spg.

Most computers will lock out for ~24hrs if you violate a required decompression stop. Its for your own protection, and you really shouldn't dive for at least 24 hours.

Most computers start decompression stops at 10ft (3m), and as your decompression obligation builds up they add stops at 20ft (6m), 30ft (9m), 40ft (12m) and so on. The DR NiTek Plus will evidently calculate a decompression schedule down to 90ft (27.4m), and after that you are on your own! Mind you, that's one heck of a dive and takes lots of planning.

However, at 25-50 dives you really don't need to be getting into deco dives. Take an advance class, a nitrox class, and so on - don't rush it.

I went with the Oceanic Geo and I wear it everyday as a watch then when I am ready to dive it is already with me. As for what you require this is what The Geo has:

1) has a backlight very nice backlight
2) operates in gauge modehas 3 modes, Norm, Gauge & Free
3) has audible alarms Has audible and also a visual red blinking light
4) nitrox capable Yes
5) preferably less conservative I am not 100% sure but I think you can adjust this with the Geo. I could be wrong.
6) user-changeable battery Yes

Now I got mine on sale for $299.95 so it was a hell of a steal for this computer, which I already said doubles as an everyday watch for me so it was even more worth it. Hope this helps and Dive Safe!

I use a Zeagle N2ition as a non air integrated backup computer. It has all of the features you are looking for in addition it has a large face (easy to read), dual gas mode, excellent support, and easy to use. You can get them at Scuba Toys for a great price, even better if you are a forum member.

Hi iilovepiink,

Pelagic Pressure Systems computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Genesis) and Cochran computers are consistently among the more liberal. Seiko computers (Dive Rite, Cressi, Zeagle, Tusa and Apeks outside the US all make computers identical to DR Nitik Duo and/or Plus) and Suunto computers are consistently among the more conservative. Uwatec is generally intermediate. There are many variables present in the various decompression algorithms you may want to learn more about. The choice comes down to personal preference. The various decompression algorithms all appear to be safe when applied correctly. I'm unaware of any data to suggest there are safety differences between them.

For the last decade I have dived an Oceanic Pro Plus then a Pro Plus 2 (AI with hose). I like the computers very much. I have a compass attached that I am very familar with using. That being said, I will likely switch to a hoseless AI when (if) my PP2 ever gives up.

I dive with a Dive Rite Nitek Duo as a backup. This is a very good computer. I really like the average depth displayed in the log, very convenient for SAC calculation. I use the computer download, works flawlessly, and I send my dive profiles directly to DAN Project Dive Exploration. I do not use the 2 gas switching yet but plan to move on to accelerated decompression in the near future. I use the available bungee mount rather than the traditional wrist strap and like it very much. There is a pretty significant price spread for this computer depending on brand as listed in the 1st paragraph. I find the DR Nitek Plus quite small and am glad I have the larger model, this is also a personal choice.

Seems like either the PPS or Seiko computers you mention in your initial post would serve you well. The Oceanic Geo now comes in yellow, blue, and green, but, alas, not piink. Best of luck in your computer purchase.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom