Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• HotDive_150.gif
    HotDive_150.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 331
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Last week I was diving at Netrani Islands, off the west coast of India. It around 12 nautical miles off the cost. Amidst the huge boulders that are found around the Island base, I came across a piece of stone that had a too perfect shape to be natural. It measured about 4 feet in length and was 1.5 feet wide, rectangular, tapering somewhat at the top, with rounded edges. It had two perfectly cut holes at the top and bottom end. There were some hand chiseled markings, too obliterated over time to be read clearly. I surfaced and asked the local guy manning the boat if he knew anything. He skin dived to the bottom and had a quick look at it. On the surface, he discussed with another elderly attendant (some 70+ years) and they opined that it might one of the old 'stone anchors' that were used by the dhows which sailed often between the shores of India and Arab countries !!!

Arun

dozen shopping carts
gazillion bottles and cans
mattress
lots of tires
3 safes
oxy tank for welding (not diving, don't yell!)
chairs
tables
ladders
motorcycle
bicycles
hood from a bus and other various auto parts
bullets
portholes
masts
Oh, and a body!! (this week- see my post about weird things found)

I found a WWII Japanese sea mine

It was confirmed yesterday. Japanese EOD dove on the Sea Mine that we found and it is a 1000 lb mine. They will have to tow it to deep water to destroy the mine, since it is so close to shore and near the civilian population. This sea mine sits right where the US Army and US Marines came ashore in 1945.

Fishing lures
Anchors
Crab pots & rings
Golf balls
Trash - pick it up and bring it in
Pliers

I found a fish rod and reel. Gave it to my dive buddy. He was pretending to be fishing the rest of the dive. He took it home

I have only been diving for year and half and since i have dove in raystown lake and some quarries around PA and i have found few dollars, cell phone, vw car, school bus, rope and chain, glasses, shoe, wallet (raystown where drunk people jump in the water) toliet with a fake hand in it. fishing line etc.

a crate of unopened beers they hadn't stayed afloat because it went in upside down
huge kitchen knife
2 masks
old brass key
golfballs

and the coolest thing iv ever found was just at the bottom of the slipway we entered from...

.... A HUMAN TOOTH!

A Japanese 6" Shell
Anti Aircraft Shells
Coke Bottles from 1945
50 Caliber Rounds
Japanese Gas Mask
US Helmets
Boots from 1945
1000lb Japanese Sea Mine
Depth Charges
Okinawa was the site for the largest invasion of the Pacific only compaired with D-Day. US Navy lost more ships in the invasion of Okinawa than any other battle.
Come to Okinawa and from shore you might find some WWII artifacts. We are still searching for 15 unaccounted wrecks, to inlcude small two man Japanese submarines come help us find them!

Attachments

• IMG_4996.JPG
    IMG_4996.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5042.JPG
    IMG_5042.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 257
Most valuable, a $20 bill skin diving off the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, most prized, a very old looking bottle from a reef dive in Florida. One man's trash is another's treasure.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom