Rumor has it that Inon America could be +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newdiver48

Registered
Reaction score
closing. I heard that Inon Japan may be closing it's America division. How could this be? I don't know about any of you that own an Inon but I personally want service here in the U.S.A. . I bought my first one from Ryan, Reef Photo, at a trade show and also bought the uw lens and housing for my oly 350. What a treat this was to get personal service. I used this rig for about two years and then took a a course with Cathy Church and she suggested I get a second strobe. A few months later, I took a photo course with Bonnie Pelnar and was able to "try out" a second Inon strobe through Inon America and of course you know the results, I bought it. I personally have told many people over these boards about my strobes and how much I love them. Been to several countries on dive trips and many people on the boats have asked about them and I told them where to buy. However if I have to purchase them from Japan and send them to Japan for service,etc. , I will change my mind. I think that Inon makes a great product but if they stop having Inon America, I will look for a brand that can be serviced here in the states. The customer support from Inon America is amazing. I called Steve once in a panic and he was will to help me out overnight! I also flooded my strobe once and told him the truth how it happened and he was amazed. It's one great product. OK, I'm finished ranting now, I just hope and pray that this is just rumor. I won't continue to buy if I have to send products to Japan to get them fixed, buy, etc. Scott Nielsen
PS. I own 3 D2000 Inon strobes and was going to buy a fourth for Troy's camera in Coz if he liked it. I was hoping he would be able to try one out at Bonnie's workshop but now, I'm not sure. I hope this is only rumor and Troy will be able to try one out like I did last year. Also another friend of ours, Anna, tried one out at the workshop and she bought one also. I'm sure there were others. Rant off

How sales and service of Inon equipment in the US is still up in the air. I was told we'll know more in a couple of days. I'm horribly disappointed by this news too and I think its a big mistake for them to think that eliminating the America division is a good idea. Arrogant Japanese thinking, IMHO. Inon America is what made that company what they are in the US.

Inon America web site hasn't listed authorized dealers for several days now.
I have recently purchased a Inon strobe and the dealer made me aware that there was restructuring going on.
The Inon America web site lists the D-2000 as backorder as well.

I hope I haven't bought myself an expensive problem:frown::frown:

Unfortunately I have no information on this. My Speculation is that UW strobes are not a huge seller, and the economy is likely not helping matters. If they are shutting down the US division I hope they are able to continue to stay in business.... maybe someone else can post the skinny.

Its an unfortunate situation for all of us. Inon Japan is really doing a disservice to its customers and to its dealers that back their products and promote them. We hope to have some more news in the very near future.

Unfortunately I have no information on this. My Speculation is that UW strobes are not a huge seller, and the economy is likely not helping matters. If they are shutting down the US division I hope they are able to continue to stay in business.... maybe someone else can post the skinny.

How could u/w strobe b a small mkt? US market is the biggest market in the world. However, i don't know if it is a huge mkt or not for U/w photography. I live in New Zealand and i use sea&sea ys50 strobes, bought them cause i got very good deal for them. But if i can afford a better strobe i would definitely buy Inon.

I have owned Inon strobes since they arrived in the US and have never owned less than three at a time. I now use the Z-240s with fiber optic cables. I have in that time never had to return a piece of equipment for service after more than 3000 dives.

Inon has just released the S-2000, a very small and quite powerful (GN-20) strobe for its size. This strobe should all but replace the D-2000s so I am not surprised that some be be out of stock or on sale.

If Inon Japan does close Inon America to sell direct to their dealers I am quite sure they intend to continue service in the US.

It seems we should remain calm and give them a chance to announce their intent.

Phil Rudin

This came to me through uw-photo this AM:

Dear valued Inon America customers and industry colleagues.
Inon America regrets to announce that as of January 9, 2009, the company is suspending sales and most other business operations, for the following reasons.
Since establishing Inon America in September 2003, we have done our best job for these 5+ years building Inon brand name recognition, reputation and market share in North, Central and South America. Despite our efforts and success, the Japanese manufacturers of Inon product, Inon, Inc. and Seanet, Inc., have suddenly and unilaterally decided to sell directly to our customer base, cutting Inon America out of the very business it created.
To implement their new distribution scheme without engaging Inon America, since November 2008, both Inon, Inc. and Seanet, Inc. in Japan have refused shipments to Inon America unless Inon America agreed to the new scheme. For this reason, Inon America has since been denied supply of product and repair parts it has needed to support its dealer base and to repair products. We know many customers had hoped for products and repairs to be completed before the 2008 holiday season, but control of the situation was out of our hands. Inon America is very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
We do not agree with Inon and Seanet's unilateral decision to sell directly from Japan to our customers. It means our employees will lose their jobs and their families will suffer, just because the manufacturers deem it time to take over now that the hard work has been done. Because the consequences are so dire, we will continue to try to work out a solution that will enable us to resume our services to you.
For those who have outstanding repairs, by now we have been in contact with you about the lack of parts support, and our ongoing efforts to resolve the situation. For those who won our 2008 monthly photo contest, we have been in contact with everyone about how to redeem your winnings, which we will honor to the best of our ability. Our goodwill to help those who have supported us will last as long as we have the means.
If you have any product, sales or other inquiries, please use the email form below.
We hope to return to service as soon as possible.
In the meantime, thank you for your support, and for the good times these past years. We hope for prompt resolution, and the chance to resume our business and earn back your patronage.
Sincerely,
-Mark Rupert
President & Founder
Inon America, Inc.

t is a shame that this happened, as Inon America has been great to work with.

Our store will continue to support all of the Inon products we've sold in the past, and their warranties will be fully honored. Inon Japan will honor their obligations, and our company has an excellent track record dealing with Japanese vendors, so I don't expect radically different service response times than would have been offered by Inon America dealing directly with Inon, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom