Charter recomendation for Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quikenuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

My buddy and I are planning a trip to the keys in Feb. I'm looking for a dive charter recomendation down there. We'll be staying in Key West but if there is a "must dive with" charter on any of the other keys we would go that route.

Thanks in advance,
Quik

In general, the recreational diving Key West is average and gets better the further in the Keys you go. The best reef and wreck diving in the Keys is considered to be from Islamorada up into Biscayne National Park. It's 80 miles up US1 from KW to Islamorada and not a "fun" drive (probably because I've done a few too many times in one lifetime).

There is better diving in the Cudjoe Key, Looe Key, and Marathon areas with the major wrecks being the Thunderbolt and the Busch. These sites are only 30-55 miles away.

Thanks for the recomendations Deepstops!

We are now considering an additional trip just to check out some of the upper keys. We will both have our significant others with us on the feb trip which are both non-divers so for that trip we will need to find a charter much closer to keywest if not running directly out of Key West. Even a not so good dive out of the keys has to be better than Venice and Hudson Grotto like we have been diving...

Thanks,
Quik

That thread has some great info, but I'm looking more tword some loacal 1st hand experience with any of the charters from the thread. I did find Captin's Corner charter and they only charge $45.00 if you bring all your own gear and tanks.

Any one had experience with them, positive or negative?

Thanks again,
Quik

If you're diving in Key Largo try Quiescence Diving. They run only 6-pack boats instead of the crowded "cattleboats". While there, "must dives" are the Duane, the Benwood and the Grove if you're into wrecks.

Silent World is worth the drive from Key West,no cattle boats and a great staff.

If staying in Key West Captain corner is a big boat but ok operation for what it is..SouthPoint is a nicer boat and they are on Front St..Can also drive up north one morning and go to Looe Key Dive Center,they have large pontoon boat but did not have any grief with them.They costs about the same as the other operators,but do a 3 tank instead of 2, and the diving is better there than at KW,its maybe at most a 1/2 hr drive.out of kw oldtown..Cudjoe used to have Capt Jim Wyatt at mm21 but he left to go north and as far as I know no one has replaced him at that location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom