Will all guage console hoses fit all primary regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbowdeadly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

Putting together a breathing system. I have a new Oceanic Primary, trying to attach a set of Dive rite guages in a console. Every time I screw it in, it doesn't feel like the O ring engages. It feels like it may be bottoming out? Maybe the threads are too long?

Appreciate any help,
Jason

Hi,
Is it on the side that goes to the regulator or the side that fits into the gauge ?

On the reg side there should be an o-ring on the base of the male threaded hose.
On the gauge side you need what is called a "gauge stem" that fits into the gauge and into the hose end . There are 2 o-rings on the gauge stem, one fits into each end.

Jim Breslin

Hey guys thanks for the answers....

To elaborate. It is where the hose for the console meets the primary. I have it on the HP outlet on that side (left). I screw it in, but it doesn't seat "soft" like the regs (oceanic) and the LP hose do. Basically when I screw it in it bottoms out without me feeling the o ring "squish". This is making me think it will not seal, and I am nervous about pressuring it up without it seated.

I can take it to my LDS, but I was wondering if it was proprietary and dive rite guage hoses only fit dive rite primaries.

Yes I am new, LOL.

Thanks,
Jason

You can contact Dive Rite through the manufacturers section on this board. Ag usually answers questions quite quickly.

To the best of my knowledge no DR gauges are proprietary. I have used both DR pressure gauges and computer consoles on both Oceanic and ScubaPro first stages without incident.

If Ag doesn't have a solution for you check with your LDS.

H.

Dive Rite gauges are not any different than others. If its screwed in put in on a tank and turn in on- if it leaks it needs a new o-ring on the hose. There is no danger in testing this- worst that will happen is you will hear a lot of air coming out- nothing will explode and the gauge or reg will not be damaged in any way.

Lets re cap this.
You have the male threaded portion of the high pressure hose going into the 1st stage(primary) and the threaded portion feels as of it is bottoming out without any feeling that the o-ring is in contact with the shoulder of the 1st stage surface.

Have you tried to put the hose on the other side, just to see how it seats on that high pressure port ?
Also take the high pressure plug that came out of the port that you are working with and compare the threaded portion with that of the hose . Remove the o-ring from the hose and replace it with the one from the high pressure plug you removed, the o-ring may be bad. Now see if the hose fits the reg any better.

Good luck, Jim Breslin

Ok guys, it was none of the above!

I put a wrench on the nut that went to the console hose. When it felt bottomed out with my fingers, it was very close. I turned the wrench and felt the nut starting to give and go further in. I backed it out and inspected. I had some brass shavings from the nut. Apparently on the new oceanic primary, there is a tiny lip where the attachment for the HP hose is countersunk. It was a tiny amount, and it wound up shaving a sixteenth or less of the nut off. The gist of this is that the nut was too big to fit into the recess where the primary HP hole was countersunk. Once the corners of the nut were shaved off by the primary, it fit fine. Pressured up with no leaks.

Thanks to everyone who posted help!!

Best,
Jason

Ok guys, it was none of the above!

I put a wrench on the nut that went to the console hose. When it felt bottomed out with my fingers, it was very close. I turned the wrench and felt the nut starting to give and go further in. I backed it out and inspected. I had some brass shavings from the nut. Apparently on the new oceanic primary, there is a tiny lip where the attachment for the HP hose is countersunk. It was a tiny amount, and it wound up shaving a sixteenth or less of the nut off. The gist of this is that the nut was too big to fit into the recess where the primary HP hole was countersunk. Once the corners of the nut were shaved off by the primary, it fit fine. Pressured up with no leaks.

Thanks to everyone who posted help!!

Best,
Jason

That sounds like it might be a manufacturing defect on that Oceanic 1st stage. You might want to ask on the Oceanic forum and/or take it back to your Oceanic dealer.

Back
Top Bottom