If you could only dive in one spot for the rest of your life...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My local no-viz quarry. And here's why.

I dive my quarry from March to December, that's 10 months of diving.

If my "one spot" was limited to, say Roatan, I might travel there 2 weeks a year.

So 10 months of diving versus 2 weeks of diving? The place that would provide me with the most dives is my local no-viz quarry.

Okinawa, easy access shore dives, great boat dives out to the outer Islands.
Winter water temps high 60's-Low 70's F. Soft coral,Hard coral, tons of critters big and small.
Good food, and even bad food like Mcdonalds, A&W, KFC.

Dive club Ž«THREE DIMENSIONS-BAIKALŽ» invites divers of all levels and laymen to experience diving in Lake Baikal. We are the only dive club in Irkutsk that has a heated building on the Baikal shore, where divers can select all necessary equipment for rental, change, have a cup of tea after the dive.
Lake Baikal is a unique water reservoir. On the one hand, it is a fresh water lake; on the other hand by depth and water transparency it is comparable to a sea. The volume of the Baikal waters influences climate of the neighbourhood territories.
The greater part of the year the water temperature in the lake is rather low: +1 - + 4Ž°С, only in July-September does it get warmer up to +16 +18Ž°С. Water transparency is in direct dependence of the season and temperatures: in July-September is it about 5-10 meters, in May after the ice has melted 10-15, the rest of the time up to 40-60 meters.
Taking into account these conditions, we choose our equipment. We dive in dry suits, make use of regulators especially designed for cold water.
What can you see underwater? Various landscapes at some places there is a drop off (vertical wall) very close to the shoreline; there are many canyons. The most spectacular one starts about 10 meters from the shore; the height of its walls is 30-40 meters, width enough for 1 person to move comfortably, depth unknown (we dived to 70 meters and could not see its bottom from there). There are huge underwater mountain ranges, when viewing them one feels as if s/he is so tiny compared to the massive rocks! Right opposite our dive-centre in Listvyanka there is a very interesting place: in terms of landscape it is just a 45Ž° slope, but this is a place where graylings feed and breed. It is fun to observe a big flock of fish (several thousand specimen). There are also some caves.
We think the list can be continued, as there are so many unexplored nooks in the lake. This year (2008) we discovered a 100-year-old ship in very good condition, we also went on expeditions in search of an old steamboat and an icebreaker that sank in the lake. One of the lake endemics the Baikal seal deserves a separate article. In the summer 2008 we dived with Azimuth rebreathers in Ushkanyi Islands so as to make a video of these animals, but, unfortunately, poor weather conditions did not allow us to realize this plan to the full.
German, English, Australian, French and Polish divers come to dive with us regularly.

One spot for the rest of my life, take into account I've only been certified less than two years so am only limited to where I've dived...I'd go with Mexico (cenotes & reefs).

I need some one to send me $20,000,000 so I can check out all these locales and compare them.

If someone sends the cash - I will take everyone who posted to the site they posted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom