Where to go in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got laid off, so I'm planning on taking a cheap vacation while my job search goes nowhere. I am planning on diving with Stuart Cove in the Bahamas, I don't care about the crowds, I just want to do the shark adventure. I'll probably try to stay somewhere cheap in Nassau and catch the bus from there. But I am only planning on staying around there for about 2 days, I have a few more days to kill. does anyone have any other suggestions as to where else to dive in the bahamas? Are any of the other islands, beaches or dive sites particularly noteworthy? I did a search and didn't see much. I don't have to dive everyday, if there are other cool sites or things to do I'm interested, I jst mostly think diving for the bahamas. Thanks.

If you haven't already booked something then I recommend Blackbeard's liveaboard if you are looking for a bargain. I did it last November and had a blast. The boats go out of Freeport and a week aboard (lodging and meals included) was less than a $1,000.00. You can up to 4 times a day and they do a shark encouter as part of the trip. There is a port night in Bimini half way throug as well.

.... any other suggestions as to where else to dive in the bahamas? Are any of the other islands, beaches or dive sites particularly noteworthy?

If you want bargain rates, your search is best focused on Grand Bahama Island (Freeport) and Nassau. Sometimes Bimini can be a deal.

The out islands are a world away and yet in the same country, but it will cost you plenty to get there and stay, comparatively.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm not sure if I have a week to dedicate to a liveaboard, but I'll look more into it now that it sounds like the smaller distant islands are expensive and hard to access.

Hey Moose016,
I see that you are looking more towards exciting dives, i can recommend the hand shark feeding dive with AquaSportsInc. Also you can take a look at our virtual test dive on the website, i sure it'll something you will be interested in.

If you want a land package Viva Fortuna in Freeport has reasonable packages, for liveaboards Blackbeard's will offer a lot of diving for a reasonable price and it's lots of fun.

If you haven't made plans yet --I recommend UNEXSO in Freeport (UNEXSO :: Dolphin & Diving Activities & More!). It was the first dive resort and there is a lot of history there. They have some great recreational dives, including wrecks, a dolphin experience and a shark dive.

The staff is great and Pelican Bay Resort (which is essentially just a hotel) is connected to UNEXSO, so you can stay right there. It is also right in Port Lucaya, so you can just walk into the downtown area which is fun.

If you want a contact there, PM me.

Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions Everyone. My flight is to and from Nassau for roughly 4 days, so I don't have time for Blackbeard's. I'll probably spend at least one or two days diving from Nassau and the other 1 or two on/diving Grand Bahama since that seems to be where all the recommendations are located. Does anyone know if there are Ferries between the islands? I'll have to figure out how to get over there and back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom