starting spear fishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about starting spear fishing what do i need to know? what do i need and does anyone have any tips?
:DNick

As an Instructor I would of course suggest taking a spearfishing class with a qualified Instructor. That way you get all the basics covered and don't miss out on any details.

However, most folks learn by going spearing with experienced friends first. The only problem with this is if you do as they do you may get in over your head (literally) too early on.

Also, most folks who have been at this for a while will naturally try to sell you on whatever gear they have. This is not always bad but often limits your exposure to what's out there. For example, I have all my U/W hunter students test fire (yes, in the water) just about every gun in our store (including pole spears, slings, pneumatics (gasp!) and various band guns) and let them decide for themselves what they like and can handle.

Good luck. If you are ever in South Florida look me up and I will be happy to take you out spearing.

Wes

1. Buy a gun that works best for you balancing size, cost, and ease of operation.

2. Don't think, just pull the trigger.

Are you looking to use a gun? Pneumatic or band? Have you thought about a 3-prong (Hawaiian Sling)? Are you going to spear for fun, food, or both? Have you looked into what fish are the best eating? Chum or no chum?

Lots of questions and different directions you can go!

Wetdawg, has good advice, and if you can fly to Miami, it's nice to start off in warm Florida waters. However, if you're spending your winter days far from the tropics. . . there have been many tips for beginners, in equipment, and technique, and gathering local information of what's legal, and what's good to eat. Use the search function, and spend the cold nights looking back into the forums. This site is better in the warm months when more people ard diving, and messages right now are slow.

i'd love to try and answer but i know absolutely nothing about spear fishing :(

Start with a pole spear, find other divers in your area that hunt and tag along. Its not hard to do just know the fishing regs for your area.

Utter these words quietly if even in the islands! I say that half joking - but I have been in the water watching free divers pull monsters up with pole spears. The local Hawaiians deserve all the respect in the world for the skills they have developed/used in the older traditional ways. I love the thought of tagging along. Watching is a powerful tool and can teach you tons. I've liked the idea of starting small as well - with either a pole spear or small reef gun. It teaches you to get close! If you learn and get "good" small - you'll learn and get "great" big.

In Hawaii many divers carry both there gun and a three prong. Not sure about other areas - but it's another good reason to learn with small spear. In certain scenarios they come in handy with big and small fish alike!

Best of wishes from the middle of the ocean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom