DIY: fibre optic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah i bought the cable from Jaycar. initially I cut into 2 but it wasn't good enough and it was too long so i cut into 4 pieces and each strobe uses 2 cables. I decided temporary to use electrical tape. I tried it today and it works. i have 20yrs old model strobes in which i bought second (one was hardly used and the other was brand new). They don't have holes for fiber optics. However, i manage to have them stick on the strobes using electrical tapes. However, my arms and strobes r DIY as well using industrial fittings and locline in whiah they hallows in them so i put all the cables through them. this way no chance of getting it cut off u/w. however, i do plan to add add more locline fittings (probably 1/4) to cover more of the cables ,. at the moment the cables are 20% exposed so i will add these locline hose fittings to cover it 100%.

I wish i can show it to you all but i don't know how to post pictures in this thread.

Anyway all thanks very much for showing me how to make my own fibre optics.

Here are two groups of photos of my latest tray/arm rig. Just got a Sea&Sea YS-110. There are some detail views of the fibre optic. I used thin copper tubing to create strain relief and structural support for the fibre. I found that trimming the fibre at an angle works just as well as running it perpendicular to the camera housing. You can make a mask and securely attach the fibre.

Attachments

• Mk.V Details.jpg
    Mk.V Details.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Mk V overview group.jpg
    Mk V overview group.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 127
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom