San Diego/wreck alley diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I are thinking of driving out to San Diego to dive wreck alley and the info I have found online says that the water temp is around 55 degrees year round. So since water temp isn't a factor, are there any other issues that determine when is best?

We have done boat diving from the Great Escape, Peace, and Spectre and loved them all. So what should we expect in San Diego boats? The schedules for LoisAnn and Marissa (boats that seem to have the biggest followings here on SB and with friends here locally) look to be doing 2 dives in am, then come back into dock and 2 dives in afternoon. Do most people only do 2 dives? Or do some people stay on boat and do both trips?

We would be doing at least 2 days of diving - no need to drive all the way out there (12 hours each way) for only a couple of dives.
We are thinking either March or April..... Any info would be appreciated!!

robin:D

The other factor to visit is probably visibility. Late summer, fall, and winter tend to have the best visibility in SoCal - spring and early summer can bring blooms and very green water. You can have great or poor visibility any time of year, but that seems to be the trend.

Most folks only do the half day trip, but I'm sure the boat would love to have you for both. They usually end up going to different destinations - eg wrecks in the morning, kelp in the afternoon. Other boats, like Marissa sometimes do all day trips with 3 dives.

Marissa is my favorite boat in town, but they are frequently booked up. Another local boat worth trying is waterhorse charters aka Humboldt.

We dive Wreck Alley quite regularly. We usually do both the morning and afternoon dives, spend the night at the Dana, then do it all over again Sunday.
I've used the Lois Ann and the Humboldt. Both are good boats. The Lois Ann offers EAN 32, the Humboldt is air only. All three of the boats you're looking into are within yards of each other. Can't go wrong.
Happy diving.

thanks to both of you for the info. :D I had seen the website for the Humboldt but hadn't read anything about them, nice to hear they are a good choice. :D

do you use drysuits or wetsuits? We dive here in 60 degree water regularly and we have both, I just don't want to have to drag both out there if we don't have to do it. It seems every time we are on a boat, someone blows out a drysuit seal and didn't bring a backup wetsuit. :shakehead: I guess we will need to take both. I haven't used my drysuit in over a year so I guess I need to go out soon and check it out.

Any other recommended dive gear for San Diego that we should know about?

robin:D

The surface interval weather could be warm, or cold ... plan for both :wink:
Last dive on the Yukon was 55*, the time before was 50* (or 49* on some computers)
Unless your diving a drysuit, I think the 3 tank trip would be about all I could (did) handle in a wetsuit (I have a drysuit now)

I've dived in San Diego 4 times over the last 2 years. Bottom temps have generally been 52-53, few a bit warmer 55-56 and last April only 49-50. The Coronados have always been several degrees warmer. I don't dive dry. With a full 7mm, hooded vest, booties, gloves I've been fine down to 52, I got cold by the end of the dive when it was 49-50. Appears most who dive San Diego frequently dive in dry suits, I would. I've had visibility on the Yukon as good as 50-60 feet and as low as 5-10 feet.

Marissa Dive Charters is also my favorite. They have a great 3 tank trip to the Coronados and dives for more experienced to the Hogan and Scripps Canyon in addition to wreck alley and kelp. I've dived with Dive Connections, that worked out fine for me and they have nitox on site. I've not dived with Lois Ann or Waterhorse Charters but know people who are very happy with them and boats look fine.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in San Diego, good luck.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom