Sea&Sea DX-1G review Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI Guys-
The DX-2G will be available in the spring and available as camera/housing set or with lighting packages and accessories. Price and availability is TBD. The DX-2G camera is not compatible with the DX-1G housing, it does fit, but with a 2.7" LCD and button relocation not all items are accessible 100%. And yes, the housing is a frosted clear polycarbonate and Ricoh has upgraded for the LCD brightness and contrast in comparison to the DX-1G. Stay tuned for more information when it is available.

When you say spring does that mean March or does that mean late in May? :wink:
I was pretty close to buying the DX-1G and a bunch of accessories. I like the sound of the improvements in the 2G, but don't want to go on another vacation without a new camera (was probably planning another vacation in March).

Also, do the following current accessories fit the new housing?

• Macro Flash Diffuser
  • Close-up Lense/Lense Adapter
  • Wide Angle Lense

Well then , please tell me which is better, the DX-1G or the DX- 1200? I know the 1200 HD has HD video but what about picture quality?

From what I read they are quite different cameras. I never take video with my DX-1G, I only take still shots. My feeling is that if I want to take underwater video, then buy a video camera that will get you much better pictures for a longer period of time. The DX-1G is a more flexible camera in that it allows you to take shots manually while the 1200 is more of a point and shoot camera. Personally, more pixals does not equate into better pictures. I like the DX-1G because of the flexibility it gives you in taking pictures. personnally, I don't subscribe to the view that more pixels are better. The current number of pixels offered in all digital cameras is sufficient to give you a good print. I also think that the quality of the pictures is more dependent on the person taking the picture than on the camera itself. I would also consider waiting until the DX-2G comes out, not because it is a 12 megapixel camera but because of other enhancements such as a larger lcd screen, a brighter lcd screen, the enhanced ability to take pics in raw mode, etc.

Just my thoughts,

Bill

Fully agree with Hammerhead last post.

About additionals for DX-1G:
* Macro Flash Diffuser: which is the best quality/cost?
* Wide Angle Lense: I'm taking the S&S even if only 85° u/w... friends told me it's great in
any case, but there's something wider on the shelf in the next future?

The DX-1G accessories are 100% compatible with the DX-2G - Wide-Angle Lens, Close-Up lens, macro diffuser, etc. If interested, you can download the 2009 Product Catalog HERE.
The DX-1200HD, while @ 12MP and with HD video does not produce the image quality that the DX-1G or 2G does. This is due to a variety of things, most importantly the sensor quality. Additionally, the DX-1200HD is approximately 50% less at MSRP than the 1G/2G. We highly recommend NOT comparing these 2 cameras based on resolution alone.

I have not heard of a release date but what I have read is that it is expected to be released in "late spring." My guess is toward the end of May.

Hi everyone-
Estimated availability in the US is mid-april. When a confirmed date is available we will make a public announcement.

So from what I have read above from kgault the DX-2G does not have the ability to take video, is this correct ? I am thinking of purchasing the DX-1G but then seen the DX-2G is coming out soon, but I want the ability to take video if I want to with my UW camera. Also I have seen an issue with the screen being dark, but that is supposedly fixed by a firmware update from the manufacturer. So being a standard UW camera user would it be best to wait for the DX-2G or just go ahead and get the DX-1G now ?

Back
Top Bottom