Night dive tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sail-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I'm about to do my second night dive. My last one was amazing and part of a trianing group but I didnt really know what to look at except where the torch was and then that was random what I found. What do some of you look at specifically? I liked my last one so much I rate it more than day diving.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

I like to find an area and study it. Look at the wall or reef, whatever your case may be, get your bearings and move slow. Take it all in. It is a cool experience.

All of my night dives in the ocean have been off a boat. So, I normally try to stay close to the boat and concentrate on pockets of small areas while taking my time. I prefer using a smaller backup light so I do not blind everything. I think I am able to see more as a result. Look closely at the coral as it feeds at night. I see more eels swimming about at night than in the day. It is neat to see fish and turtles sleeping. Also, most octopi that I have seen has been at night. Enjoy.

Hi All,

I'm about to do my second night dive. My last one was amazing and part of a trianing group but I didnt really know what to look at except where the torch was and then that was random what I found. What do some of you look at specifically? I liked my last one so much I rate it more than day diving.

Cheers

Mike

To find things at night, I would bone up on the sea life in the areas you plan on diving. keep in mind the day shift will be tucked away, and the night shift will be active, so you need to study up on the habits and habitats of the critters you expect to be there. Knowing the site well from daytime diving will help you to concentrate on areas that have a good chance of attracting the fish or inverts you are hoping to see, and then it is just a matter of luck that they are there.

Keep in mind that most animals are less intimidated by divers at night, so you can generally get closer. However be careful with your torch as you can blind or stun some fish and make them easy pickings for predators. In some cases this the idea, tarpon in Bonaire hunt via the dive light and it is neat to watch, however if this is not your intent then watch how you shine your light on the fish.

You need to be aware of yourself and have good bouyancy control at night since you do not have all the same visual cues that you are used to, but once you get that right night diving is some of the most exciting and rewarding diving you can do. And do not ignore night wreck diving, seeing a wreck emerge out of the gloom is enough to give me goosebumps, even on wrecks that were sunk as reefs. It really lends to the imagination!

Thanks guys. will post back tomorrow what i find. and possibly some pics. (will try not to blind anything with the camera flash :D )

"tarpon in Bonaire hunt via the dive light"

What does this mean btw?

"tarpon in Bonaire hunt via the dive light"

What does this mean btw?

It means Tarpon (a type of fish) hunts for it's food via the diver's dive light.

Here in Puget Sound in the winter Harbor Seals follow divers around to take advantage of their light in their hunt for Shiner Perch in particular.

Hi All,

Cheers

Mike

I go much slower at night. There seems to be more critters about at night time, at least where I dive, so I concentrate on smaller areas. Cephalopods are out and about too, and they are my favourite marine critters!

Also watch your navigation. I find it is much easier to become disorientated at night so I make sure to pay extra attention to my compass.

One thing I find really fun to do, is to turn off my torch and play with the phosphorescence (I think that is what it is called) by waving my hands around. On a pier I know too, they have bright lights so sometimes I turn off my torch and swim around using that light. I prefer things dark so like to avoid using my torch if possible and my primary isn't too bright for that reason.

Some of the local fish seem to be waay more inquisitive at night as well so you might notice this too :) Like pufferfish and toadfish were I dive, most will swim away during the day if you get any where near them I find. At night they seem to love the light and will swim up and play with my torch beam :)

I hope you have a great time on your night dive :)

We used to have a barracuda that used to follow us at night, if our torches crossed on a fish in midwater, then......... BANG, he was through it and done! I like to check out all the holes in the reef, look for the shrimps and the cowries out and about.

Went for the dive and I'm pretty sure its the worst dive I've had. The vis was real bad, we got lost, didnt see the cool stuff my fiencee did (squid). But I'm glad I did go cause I got to see sleeping fish! OMG I didnt even know fish sleep. They were tucked up in sea weed sleeping away. Such a funny site.

Roll on the next one!

Cheers

Mike

Back
Top Bottom