An interesting web page profiles six cave photographers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder how they chose those particular photographers to profile? (Skiles is obvious, but the others aren't really.)

Me thinks they lifts the pix without permission from some online site like Picasa. (Some of Wes' are watermarked).

I bet Becky can attest to her images showing up in the strangest of places.

Example: I was recently at the Lake City V.A. having some x-rays done and when I laid down on the table -There were dozens of Jill's photographs that had been lifted and printed from her website tacked to the ceiling...! It is cool that the techs put nice peaceful beautiful pictures on the ceiling so patients can be more relaxed. Jill takes this stuff in stride and considers it a compliment, but we have learned to NEVER, EVER put quality, high resolution images online if we want to continue to license images in the professional market. It kinda takes a bit of risk, investment, and effort to create those photographs!
--My 2 cents--Robert
PS, Don Currie, professional nice guy that he is, asked for, and was granted permission to use the images on his site. (Not to be confused with pic pirates!)

Last edited:
Nice find Reg! But Wes Skiles and no Diepolder? Boo...

PS, Don Currie, professional nice guy that he is, asked for, and was granted permission to use the images on his site. (Not to be confused with pic pirates!)

Thanks Robert :D I'd be shocked to see any of mine on the ceiling in the hospital. But then again, I'd be shocked to see them hanging pretty much anywhere :wink:

Hope you and Jill are well!

You know, its certainly a mixed bag of emotions for me. I see my work pop up somewhere I do feel honored but then its about giving proper credit to the photographer and asking permission, or purchasing the print. I used to see some images pop up on other peoples web sites before I began watermarking, they were trying to pass the photos off as them, and i've had seen them pop up in other places. This was 5+ years ago before I began watermarking and making sure every image is a small .jpeg. I never minded someone telling me my shot is their screensaver of the month but I like many others do this professionally. I even watermark video, crazy? maybe?

Now that being said, If it was me in a hospital which is my biggest phobia and I looked up and saw Jill's photos i'd probably feel better and more peaceful =) That doesn't make it right but this will be a fight for a while....its the gamble with technology it can help and hurt. I mostly look at the positive and say it helps as long as you protect yourself.

So Robert, what do you say to those tech's when your done? LOL =D and Did they believe you?

HAH!

I actually know the last guy. He's a college student at NCSU (like myself before I graduated in December).

He's a great guy and a good diver but I'm not sure I would consider him a "cave photographer". To me there is a distinction between someone who takes pictures in caves, and a "cave photographer". Not that I'm trying to downplay his photos, I have enjoyed them on his facebook account for a good two years now.

I should also note that Nick is the subject in most of the photos, rather than the guy taking the photos; I believe Nick's father takes those shots.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom