I want to ID my steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobJoubert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, recently I was fortunate enough to be given a steel tank. I took it in for the hydro and viz and it passed (viz was clean and hydro was no problem).

I know that it is a LP 2400 but I am curious about the capacity and the manufacturer. It is 8.02 inches in diameter and is about 25 inches long (including the boot - probably 24 inches with out the boot).

The markings are DOT-3AA 2400; under these marks, it has the letters IA followed by a series of numbers which is followed by the number 81 and a four digit number. And it is not painted & steel in color.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
My guess is it is an LP 95 as they are about 25" tall, 8" in diameter and are 2400 psi tanks. Boots normally add very little to the tank height -maybe 1/4 inch.

Faber and PST are the most commonly encountered with the main difference being weight. Faber 95's weigh 37 lbs empty and PST's weight 43 lbs empty. 95 cu ft of air weighs 7.1 lbs so if it is full, you can adjust the weight accordingly and if partially full you can do a ratio to figure out the added weight of gas.

Coyne cylinder also made LP 95's but they are not as common.

If you find the intial test date (the date in MM@YY format where the MM is the 1 or 2 digit month, the @ is a test symbol - often a stylized P or A and the YY is the two digit year, with a + following it indicating approval for a 10% overfill (a 95 holds 95.1 cu ft at 2640 psi).

Worthington 95's are relatively new, are about 24" tall and weight 42 lbs empty - and only hold 93 cu ft of gas.

Last edited:
check out this diagram. It should help

DOT 3AA 2400 could easily be Worthington, Faber, PST, etc...

tank_read_steel_tank.gif

Tobin....

Here's the graphic (see below) for Aluminum tanks, plus another one, for yours or others use...

I think the source for these was maybe the njscuba.net website, or some website up in that geographical area.

I just rehosted them because they hard to find when I needed them. (that and njscuba.net won't let you view their website but with certain versions of browser, so it excludes some folks).

The second image (below) I can't remember where I ran across.

tank_read_alum_tank.gif

TankmarkingsWeb.gif

I just rehosted them because they hard to find when I needed them. (that and njscuba.net won't let you view their website but with certain versions of browser, so it excludes some folks).

These images should be in a "sticky" thread given the frequency of questions concerning tank identification.

Tobin

It's a PST LP95. "IA 81" is one of PST's markings and is normally next to/near the original hydro stamp.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!

EDIT: I got out the DSLR and did my best imitation of CSI lab geek - and after tweaking the images size, color, contrast and the rest, I saw the PST logo at the end of the serial number!!! Now I have proof this tank is mine because I know its serial number!!

Attachments

• IMG_3028 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_3028 Cropped.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
These images should be in a "sticky" thread given the frequency of questions concerning tank identification.

Tobin

hmmmm... good idea.

I think I'll start a new thread in the tanks sub-forum and call it something like Tank/Cylinder ID Resources and let others post additional info to it as well.

kinda start a small libary of tank ID information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom