Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like my hiking GPS... I would like to see a small device that displays the current track as I am swimming. Then I could turn around and follow it when I am heading back to my starting position.

Just found this thread.

Kacem, if you bring this product to market for <$500 I will buy the first one off the assembly line. and then I will become a dealer and sell them by the truckload.

Hey! I posted a link to a great navigation device. It is pretty much 100% reliable and will account for drift. The only downside is that the range is only 800 feet, but at $180 USD, I think it is a great deal.

I have been using this for a while now, and I have always been able to find my way back to my starting point, even in caves and wrecks.

Navigation device

Hey! I posted a link to a great navigation device. It is pretty much 100% reliable and will account for drift. The only downside is that the range is only 800 feet, but at $180 USD, I think it is a great deal.

I have been using this for a while now, and I have always been able to find my way back to my starting point, even in caves and wrecks.

Navigation device

Funny, but if only the bread crumbs would stay put you would not need a string.:wink:

What are your feelings about an underwater navigational device?
I think that the current procedures for UW navigation should be improved.

What do you find most difficult about underwater navigation?
Measure distances effectively.

How long have you been diving, and how has your answer to the last question changed as you’ve become more experienced?
2 years. Not still enougn experience.

When looking for a specific feature at a dive site (cave, wreck, etc…) how often do you have difficulty find it? If you’ve had difficulties with this, would your rather have a map to look at, or a simple arrow telling you the distance, direction, and depth to the feature?
A map.

Have you ever used any devices (other than a compass) for underwater navigation, and if so, what were your experiences with them?
Only a wirst watch.

How often have you been separated from your dive partner? Of those times, how many times have you easily found them, and how many took longer than you would have liked?
I do not understand the question.

What would be your biggest reason for purchasing a navigation device (safety, better dives, comfort, etc…)?
Comfort in limited visibility.

Do you use a dive computer? If so, what type do you use, how much did it cost, and what made you purchase your particular model?
No. I will buy it in the near future.

How often do you replace your computer, and what will you be looking for in your next one that your current model lacks?
No computer still.

If your next purchase of computer had an option for a practical navigational aid, how strongly would you consider the following features? Please rate from 1= Unnecessary to 5=Important, and add any comments you feel are necessary.

Distance and direction to boat (or dive starting location): 5

Distance and direction to dive partner (or other divers): 3

Waypoints for dive features (caves, wrecks, etc…): 5

Actual map of dive site: 5

A recorded path of your dive (including air usage and swim speed): 4

Some facts about you:
Geographic location (state or country): Argentina - South America
Do you prefer boat dives or beach dives: Boat dives
Favorite dive spot: Still to be defined

I've been thinking of how a GPS could be implemented to track your position UW.
I thought of a retractil antenna with a little buoy that could be deployed in the moment that the position must be known, plus a compass to point the requiered direction. The wire to the antenna should have at least 40 mts to allow a deep dive. Deeper seems to be unusefull, as the time a dive can have deeper is very little, so, not a long distance can be swam.

sorry folks, i did not update you since a while,
the development is still going on, i had to test many IMU MEMS for this, so far it's looks great
i have it also connected to the iPhone 3G 3G/S just for the fun, but could be a nice option , as many companies did develop a diving case for the iphone.

i added a GPS, and i'm thinking on a kind of a long range Wireless connection so that the diver position (on the surface) is sent to the boat , so that the director could locate all the divers
around.

my first test was done on may in the red sea.

regards
kacem

Back
Top Bottom