I Need Info on Honduras & Roatan Really Soon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At Chilies three of the cabins with a private bath have hot water, one does not. They are all the same $30 per night. None of the other rooms or cabins have hot water. The cabins are small. Needless to say, I wound up with the one without hot water for a few nights and was not too pleased. They have a very nice garden and are located directly across from the beach.

Got4boyz
I am also heading down on Saturday. I like to dive with Coco View you can go to the resort even if your not staying there and they have some of the best beach diving around. You can take a boat out for $25.00 for a single dive or they do a boat dive and a drop off dive for $35.00. The drop off dive is where the boat drops you off on a wall on the way back to the resort. You then simply follow the wall until you get to the resort. They have a great wreck right there at the resort too. The drop off dives are great dives. There are two different walls you can dive Coco View wall or Newman's Wall. If you like to do the beach dives you only pay $10.00 per tank and the diving is excellent. You can dive Newman's Wall, Coco View Wall or The Prince Albert wreck dive all from the beach. They will ask you to do an orientation so you are familiar with the way in and out. Its very easy diving and quite laid back. I stay in a private home so I cant tell much about were to stay. I have stayed at 3 of the resorts there and I do prefer Coco View. You may consider seeing if they have room if you plan to dive there. I will also be diving on the East end with Reef House. They are a small resort and its a long way from most other things on the island but they have some great diving. I have contacted the owner and they are full for the week but you may check with them about the possibility of doing the shore dive they have. Its great diving and not many other operations dive that part of the island because of the distance of travel. So the reefs don't get a lot of divers on them. Diving is good all around so any of the recommendations for dive operators would probably work for you just fine. I will make 4 and 5 dives a day so I like having the shore dives available as I will make much longer dives than I normally make from a boat. Hope you enjoy your trip be sure and post to tell how it went.

Beth,

So you are going to show up at West End and make your decision on where to stay after you get there? Aren't you the adventurer. The Arcos posada is a great little place but be forewarned. Most of the places in West End are very close to each other. I was there about a month ago and I got a room without any AC, which meant all of the windows were left open. The nights were a little rowdy. Not the people... the dogs and cats. Really noisy. I would opt to get a room with AC, close the windows, and listen to an A/C instead of every dog, cat and rooster in West End. One other thing. If you stay at Arcos Posada, offer to pay in cash and they won't charge you the 15% bed tax. Others may offer the same thing but I don't know.

Have great time

Bruce

Thanks for the great info Husco! Guess we'll be down there together! : )

Yes Bruce I am an adventurer. If I go down there and I hear it's small so everything is in walking distance, I can check each place out and find out if they have AC (I have to have AC, I hate heat), wireless internet service, or any internet service, etc. We go someplace almost every year and I almost never make reservations but have an idea of where there is to stay. I've never run into any problems with that yet. :)

I'll be leaving for the airport in about 6 hours. Can't wait!!!

Well, I'm off! First a five hour drive to SLC Airport. Board at 12:30 AM, arrive Atlanta 6:15 AM, 3 hr. 15 min. layover before leaving for Honduras. Arrive San Pedro Sula 12:10 PM. Take bus to La Ceiba where I'll meet Ben at the La Ceiba airport!!! Then a taxi to our motel room. Early Sunday morning board ferry to Roatan island where we will scuba dive for three days. Whew, I'm already tired just thinking about this long journey there. LOL

Beth,

Either you didn't find a place with internet service or you are just too busy to check in with your friends here on scuba board. What's up with that? :)

Bruce

Where's SLC airport?

Years ago, I was dating a dive gal who lived in New Orleans, I live in Canada. We booked a dive trip to St Lucia, I flew direct from Toronto, she had the milk-run-from-$@## to get there. Each way, way more costly...time & $$. Next time, she flew to Canada to go south.
This year, we fly direct from Toronto to Roatan, leave 6:20 & TD in Roatan 10:something, beach by 11:30. Not the same dive gal.
Travel just does not have to be that difficult

This year, we fly direct from Toronto to Roatan, leave 6:20 & TD in Roatan 10:something, beach by 11:30.

Our group of 14 will also be on the 6:20 AM plane from Toronto on Friday, arriving in Roatan at 10:05 AM. Are you also flying on Friday? If so, see ya on the plane! :wink:

Hopefully warmer weather/water by then

In my dive experience, Jan/Feb can be colder conditions in the Cozumel/Caymen/Roatan latitudes

Usually go much further south for better weather at that time of year

Travel just does not have to be that difficult

Agreed, although it can take some work to find the right flight. I'm taking a Toronto - Roatan direct flight next Friday, but it took quite a bit of hunting before I even knew that was possible.

Back
Top Bottom