Who certifies Open Water divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAUI with a NAUI Referral, the instructor that does the final open water dive
NAUI with URP, the class/pool instructor who fills out the URP paperwork.

PADI

The instructor that completes the open water dives!

I know PADI designates the Open Water instructor as certifier <snip>

With PADI, the instructor that does the final (OW Dive #4) OW check-out dive is the certifying instructor. Not just the instructor doing "the open water dives".

Rachel

Please stick to the certifying agencies listed. I am acquainted with PADI standards.

I was clarifying since the standards are very specific as to who the certifying instructor is.

R

Please stick to the certifying agencies listed. I am acquainted with PADI standards.

Now, if we could get back to CMAS, SSI, NAUI, SDI AND PDIC...

Tammy answered SSI. It is the instructor who does the Open Water Check- out dives.

Edit - To clarify, even in the event that there are several instructors involved in the open water portion, we normally split the group up between the us and the group we get is the one we certify.

With me,,the instructor that did all the classroom and pool sessions signed that part as instructor,another instructor did the OW check out dives,and he signed off on that part.
My original instructor couldnt go to OW..Both affiliated with the same shop....SSI

I was clarifying since the standards are very specific as to who the certifying instructor is.

R

Yes..

Thank you I very well Understand how it works, And I don't have to worry if it is open water Dive one or four as I don't hand the open water portion off to someone!:D

SED.

I am sorry buddy, I didn't see that part of your post, I screwed up pal, My apologies.

Nobody's screwed up, Jim. I welcome everyone's input.

I had been led to believe that the organizations you listed had clearly defined which instructor got the cert. I know PADI designates the Open Water instructor as certifier, while ACUC sets the classroom instructor. Does anyone know for sure what SSI does? Surprising to see that some agencies leave it to the training centers to decide who writes up the student.
Exactly the case for SSI. It used to be done on paper, and we filled out our own c-card orders and sent them in. Now the shop orders the c-card online, and they specify which instructor's name is to go on it.

Obviously a shop won't want to lose an instructor by failing to give credit where credit's due. And the shop can also record a credit online for a second instructor for the same cert, typically when two instructors are co-teaching or when one does the pool and another completes the checkouts.

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom