Check out this Video - What do U See?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mean to take away from your justified "uncle pride", but I do admit I felt a little irritated after reading through a whole thread expecting something carrying a valuable lesson for the rest of us who DON'T know your niece, but all this only to tell us she's great and you're so proud of her? A simple message saying just that would have done the trick. Finally, I feel compelled to add that while I'm happy for you and your niece and I do concur that she appears very natural in the water, buoyancy control without a wetsuit is a piece of cake.

Nice fins :D

Eh, unfair! No hints. Hell, I saw a lot of things: Great video quality, super buoyancy control, nice looking young lady in bikini (how old did you say she was?), breathing from my alternate second stage on yellow hose - where the hell is the primary...?

I captured a few frames for close look. These are clickable thumbs....

snapshot20090212112040.jpg snapshot20090212112107.jpg snapshot20090212112126.jpg snapshot20090212112135.jpg

snapshot20090212112147.jpg snapshot20090212112156.jpg snapshot20090212112217.jpg snapshot20090212112236.jpg

BINGO !!!

Watch how she approaches, moves and floats just a few feet off the bottom of the pool. Neither she nor her fins ever touch. Shortly after shooting this clip I put her in a full 3mm wetsuit to see how she would do. She's grown quite a bit over the last year and hasn't worn one in more than 6 months.

Can you believe, I didn't need to add a single ounce of weight with that wetsuit? Again, perfect buoyancy control by breathing only (well mostly perfect, after all I am her Uncle and I do like to brag, LOL!). I watched her for the 45 minutes we spent underwater and she never touched the inflator. She never wore any weight the entire time she was in the pool.

Sometimes we get too focused on the gear (including me) and forget its the simple stuff that makes diving easy and fun.

Now just to follow up:

THANKS, lemon, I appreciate the compliments on the video.

My niece is using a ScubaPro jacket with Air II integrated inflator. She gives the Octopus and breaths the Air II. Not particularly what I like, but she trained it and feels comfortable. I've put her through the OOA crash test and she did quite well so, it's all good.

diver 85, you got me all wrong brother! Only OLD SCHOOL divers know Tekna, LOL! They made the BEST gear. My girl's breathing a Dacor 950 XL with that console, BTW. I had the triple gauge with the BT, but the battery went bad, dagoneit. I raided my garage dive shop to outfit her. Needed to make certain she loved it and grew some before we talk about buying new stuff. I'm moving her to a wing this summer.

:D

Thanks for the chat ya'll...

Ahaaa, I see. Indeed, she looks quite comfortable in the water. I assume that you taught her - or at least coached her along. Nice work!

I'll apologize in advance, because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but...
Early on, I considered mentioning the young lady's buoyancy control, which is pretty good. However, as the discussion progressed and I ran it through multiple times, I thought I noticed something subtle.
She appears to be slightly positive. While she is swimming, she's pointed down, which is normal. When she comes to rest, she is pretty stationary, but then she starts to rise slightly, indicating she's just a wee bit positively buoyant. It is probably because she's inhaling, of course, so she may indeed be neutral, but she does rise before swimming past the photog. Therefore, I didn't feel there was ample time to say definitively anything about her apparently good buoyancy. There's not enough data to tell from the clip, but I'll certainly take the OP's word for it, since he saw more of it than we did!

While she is swimming, she's pointed down, which is normal. When she comes to rest, she is pretty stationary, but then she starts to rise slightly, indicating she's just a wee bit positively buoyant. It is probably because she's inhaling, of course, so she may indeed be neutral, but she does rise before swimming past the photog.

It looked to me like once she got the toy from the bottom she turned her self upright and was moving her fins to keep upright, resulting in a slight rise. Though i do have to agree, she may be a wee bit positive. But considering she doesn't have any weights, great job maintaining buoyancy.

But considering she doesn't have any weights, great job maintaining buoyancy.

Oh, absolutely! I agree. Especially for one so young and just starting out, and without weights, she's doing fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom