Anybody heard of Tommy D Sports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live not far from his shop. My buddies both have a triple L bcd. One and instructor and the other an orion. I am heading there tomorrow to pick up an orion for myself. They seem to be fairly well made.

Given that Tommy D doesn't seem to have warrenty on anything, I would sooner get something like Sea Elite (just ordered a Tek-X) for essentially the same price. I would be VERY hard pressed to buy a reg from Tommy D given the lack of information on the site and the minimal savings you get for them verus something like the Oceanic Alpha 8 of Mares Rebel for $25 more than the Tommy D reg.

I had a problem with one 5mm, called them and they replaced it, no problems, I wold say that is a pretty good warrenty!

They have a women's weight-integrated BC for $159 and offer free shipping (they may say otherwise when they find out I live in Alaska - but we'll see). Overall, seems like a good deal....but I just don't know.

I live close to their warehouse and bought a pair of booties from them. They work as expected.
A dive buddy bought a BC from them and loves it. Other buddies have more of his equipment without any complaints.
If you want to save a buck I would say this is a good place to do it. I have met the owner and seems very friendly, and helpful.

:popcorn:

just to let you know...... the reason the regs dont breath as well is cause they are piston..........
i asked the owner about the regs so thats how i found out...... he also told me they ARE from china(but nowadays..... what ISNT from china? i think i saw a brand of hot dogs that was from the USA.... but thats about it):dork2:

I have purchased a wetsuit and really appreciated the options available and great price for a 7mm. The front zipper is great for ease of taking the suit on and off. The service was fast when a problem arose with a suit I ordered for my wife they were great about return and refund. Very easy to deal with and fair. Just my .02.

I am slowly trying to buy all of my gear and I am on a bit of a budget. I came across these guys:
TommyDSports.com | Wetsuits, Scuba Dive Gear, Diving Fins & MORE!

I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

Cost wise, they look good, on paper they look decent too. Has anybody had any experience with them? I would hate to buy something from them only to have it fall apart.:confused: But if I can save a few bucks I wouldn't mind that either.

Looks like they sell off brand stuff. Why not stick with something tried and true?

Adam

I see this is an old thread but since someone else replied today, I'll add my 3.5 cents...

I have a lot of Tommy D stuff, and like most of it quite well. I found them thru e-bay and bought several things on auction even below their very low prices. Their regs are ok but I personally use them for an inexpensive back up; (I have a back up for everything in case I'm all set to go and something craps out). So instead of having to take time to fix or replace "it" then and there I just use my back up for that dive, which may not be as comforatable or whatever but certainly functional.

Have a couple of suits 1 3X and a 4X womens suit for under $90.00 each, (no complaints), boots, gloves, fins are ok but not quite as good as higher end brands, but are functional. I have and love one of their BC's, being a large mamal these are hard to find at a reasonable price, but I got an excelent one for under $150.00. And my favorite, I got one of their BIG gear bags with boco pockets, pouches, straps and wheels for about $50.00.

I did some research and can't remember exactly but China / Tiwan I beleave is their source.
Please no-body yell at me for trying to save money... I know you have to be careful with you life, we have everything tested before we use it, did a lot of pool and shallow open water with regs and BC.

Did get 1 reg that leaked duuring testing at LDS, exchanged it with no problem (I paid for return postage they paid to re-ship, had size issue with 1 suit (I ordered 1 size too small) and did have to pay $10.00 for their postage/handling but new suit was great.

With complete set of dive gear for 3 including a back up for almost anything (sorry a bit anal on that point) less than half our stuff is from Tommy D, but we like what we have, and all of us have some mixture of Tommy D, Scuba Pro, Sherwood, even 2 still in excelent and useable shape Dacor regulator set ups (yeah it was a pain to get re build kits but I got em). Sure there is better quality stuff, but as long as we're 1. Safe, 2. Havin Fun, 3. Together, and 4. Having Fun Together :); nuff said.

Well said. In result instead of payinf for the higher end gear you were able to get three people equipped with affordable scuba gear for your family to enjoy so yah you definitely have done well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom