SMB on a Hog rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the wreck divers I've dove with seem to prefer the butt-pack method. I try to incorporate a little more DIR in my rig, so I stow a lift bag in an MC pocket, my SMB and 100' safety spool in the right hip pocket of my drysuit, and my primary "wreck" reel on my left hip d-ring.

I note that there is no DIR place for my camera to go, or a catch bag, and the right hip pocket smb doesn't entirely make sense. So far, I've been clipping my camera to the lower right corner hole on the backplate when I dive singles, and when I dive doubles (because then the hole is inaccessible) I clip it to the left hip d-ring to start but often stow it on either the DPV ring or right chest d-ring because when there's already three things hanging from the left hip d-ring its both (a) hard to find a spot and (b) hard to know that you've clipped onto the d-ring itself as opposed to onto some other clip (I have done this by accident and found out after the dive). I clip my marker lights to either the left hip d-ring or butt d-ring. (I find reaching the butt d-ring a pain in the butt with doubles, but that's just me maybe.)

I am starting to see the virtue of the butt-pack, frankly, DIR be damned. I think those Florida cave divers just don't have the same kit needs (SMB, camera, lift bag, catch bag, stage bottle, marker lights, etc. all at once and all the time) as North Atlantic types.

One thing I've seen and thought highly of, and am considering adopting, is to add on the left side harness under the arm below the left chest d-ring (and under the left side spare hand light) one of those "under counterlung" large flat d-rings. They stick far enough out that you can clip a catch bag or something to them without them obstructing either your left arm or a stage bottle. On the other hand, this does make the left side even busier than it already is, which is quite a lot with a hog/DIR harness. I expect to experiment with this soon, and if I don't die from an entanglement problem and also remember I will post my result.

I would go by how i feel & what is most comfortable & convenient for me w/o sacrificing safety. :)

smb3.jpg

smb2.jpg

smb1.jpg

I use the method shown in the third pic, post #43, and find it works well with cold water gloves.

I notice that you mention attaching the bag with zip ties so there's nothing you cant cut loose, BUT i notice that your reel's snap is attached to the reel with a metal bracket. That is not a cutable attachment as you mention. Just thought i'd mention that. I had the same problem with mine, and ended up using some of the line to tie it on instead.

I am sure Dave will reply, but his reel is attached bu bolt snaps. In theory, one opens the gates with his thumb.

TNdiver has a point there. While I imagine bolt snaps could seize via corrosion or getting plugged up, perhaps a double-sided bolt snap in the same location would give a margin of safety in that both sides getting fouled, or seizing, on a properly inspected and working bolt snap has to be rare. Tying the current snap on with cave-line does seem the best option though.

Someone who has actually taken DIR courses and who dives caves could probably answer better than I. They may avoid Dive Rite metal reels altogether for all I know. Heck, I'm still learning as I go.

I do know that both my DR backplate and my DR reel have some sharper edges on them, so before I tie anything off on them I will use a Dremel tool to smooth the edges. I don't know if current DR gear has the same issue - mine is about three or four years old.

I just add a ziptie between the bolt snap and the metal ring on the reel. It's sturdy but easily broken with a twisting motion of the reel should the bolt snap hang up.
You can also use cave line, but that's a little harder to break in a hurry.
Rick

Large SMB is attached to the bottom of my backplate with a bungee cord.

Small SMB w/ attached spool is stored in my left thigh pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom