Best drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What models of drysuits have reinforced/thick/heavy duty trilam?

Maybe look into a DUI CLX450 or Diving Concepts Z Flex. Both are a tri-lam with cordura outer layer - durable but light. I've never tried one myself, but I know of people who dive each of them and like them.

I am considering to buy a drysuit. I have a few options in the the same price range: whites, andy's and dive rite 905. Price is the same, which one would you recommend.
Andy's? They used to make a GREAT drysuit ... but if I'm not mistaken, they've been out of business for at least three years.

White's has a good reputation for quality and service. Folks I know with Dive Rite suits have had mixed results in both categories.

The best drysuit is the one that fits you best. Everyone's body is different, so unless you are the epitome of 'average' an off-the-shelf model won't be optimum.

Compare features and costs of custom suits.
Give that man a cheroot ... the best drysuit is the one that fits you properly. After that, it's simply a matter of personal preference. I currently own three drysuits ... two DUI's (CLX450 and TLS350) and a White's Fusion. I got the Fusion because so many people I know dive it and love it. I've tried hard to fall in love with mine ... but I just can't. Everybody's got different preferences.

What models of drysuits have reinforced/thick/heavy duty trilam?
Pretty much any suit that has a cordura overlay. My DUI CLX450 is bulletproof. Diving Concepts and Northern Diver also make heavy-duty trilam suits. All have advantages and drawbacks.

- DUI makes an awesome suit, but I swear at times I think DUI stands for "Dry Until Immersed". My CLX450 has a leak that defies finding, much less fixing. But I do think they've got the best customer service department I've dealt with among drysuit manufacturers.

- Diving Concepts makes a great suit ... but pity the poor fool who has to deal with DC's customer service department. I think under the Geneva Conventions it would qualify as torture ... :shocked2:

- Northern Diver ... less expensive than either DUI or DC, and if you can fit into one of their off-the-rack suits, great. Otherwise, buyer beware. They seem to have problems making custom suits to match the measurements. The suit they made for me was built for someone 6-8 inches taller than me, and probably 40 lbs lighter. Plus it took four months to get it here from England.

But with any cordura suit, keep in mind that the price you pay for that durability is that the suit is stiffer and heavier than a standard trilam ... you're sacrificing some mobility and comfort for the durability, so there should be a reason why you'd want it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I recently bought a DS and nearly went with a slightly used White's Fusion from Mike at Dive Right In Scuba from this thread. $800 (or $1,155 with the tech skin which will add to the durability) is pretty hard to beat.

I liked the Fusion because I am hard to fit (6'4" and a slim 200#) and the unique design would have let me buy a great fitting suit off the rack, but Mike offered me such a good deal on a Pinnacle Freedom Blem that I couldn't pass it up. Let's just say that the savings will cover the airfare for me and my wife to San Diego, where I can really put my new suit to the test :D

I will have to say clx450 with the neo bottoms has been an awsome suit, but had I not such a great deal on it, I would not have had the cash to afford it. Had a DC, wasn't impressed at all with the suit or customer service. But after wearing a Fusion and a 360 at a Whites days weekend in Hoods port I knew that This would be my next suit. I also wasn't real comfortable in the fusion, but the Catalyst 360 was a nice fitting suit that was fully self donning without the extending torso.
DP

I dive regularly during the winter for an occupation so my suit gets extensive use.
1-3 tank dives a day, 1-5 days a week from November to end of March.

Pluses- Warm for multiple and long dives
Hard soled booties
integrated hood
leak resistant
resistant to wear and tear
Neoprene comfortable for extra weight and backpack.
Can ZIP YOURSELF UP!

Minuses- Chaffing in joints (after multiple dives or long periods in the suit)
Positively bouyant, more weight needed or prefer a steal tank.
No built in gloves system, but sealing at wrists are not a problem
Temps greater than 50 degrees, you will be very warm! (so you will sweat and may develop heat exhaustion)
Stiff neck movement.

All in all it's made in Sweden, Unless you are doing very cold below 45-29 degrees on average or multiple coldwater dives, you should stick with something with less insulation, because of bouyancy and overheating issues. I stay relatively warm in 35 degree water for 1 1/2- 3 hours of diving and is perfect for what I do. Hope this information helps with your selection.

You should refine your definition of "best."

Do you want the "best" cheap dry suit?

The "best" value dry suit?

The "best" quality dry suit?

Ok... so a question to those who use dry suits a lot more than we tend to in my neck of the woods. I'm currently diving an OS using the Pinnicle Evolution undergarment. Seems to work pretty well. Flexible but I'm not sure I'd want to use this on the rocky coasts of Maine (although I could be wrong...)...

So if I were looking for something in the 'ecconomy scale' of things (I don't do all THAT much rough entry diving)... but durable and warm (say... Great Lakes type diving...)... any recommendations?

... also, has anybody had any long term experience with the OS and have a few pearls of wisdom regarding it's lifecycle???

just a small word in for my 'new' andy's - bob's right, they're out of business, but i found one a shop had ordered & not sold, and man, i love it. so if you find a deal like that & it fits you, go for it. you won't have any customer service but the steeply low price might be worth it & there's always steve gamble!

Back
Top Bottom