Balmorhea Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RossB

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend and I will be taking a trip to El Paso/New Mexico during spring break. On the way back to Austin/home i wanted to stop by Balmorhea and spend a day diving. I've never been there before and had a couple of questions. More than likely we will be heading back on a weekday so are there any dive shops or places to get air near or at the park? Also would it be wise to book a room or campsite prior to arriving? I'm not sure if Spring Break is a busy time there or not. Thanks Everyone!

I would recommend booking at room at the park hotel. The water is right across the parking lot. They are the cheapest in the ares as well. There is a dive shop named 'A Funky Little Dive Shop' that is almost directly across the street. Darrel (I think that's his name) does air fills there, though I can't remember how much.

Here is a link to the park TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

If you have any other questions shoot me a pm.

Ross,

You can book a room on the balmorhea State Park web site that Drilldaddy posted above. I stayed there this weekend, in my 5th wheel, and had a great weekend. Water was about 74-76 degrees and water was clear. There were only 6 divers the whole weekend, but I don't know about Spring Break. I live in El Paso so if you have an evening free drop me a line and maybe my wife and I can meet y'all for a libation and conversation.

There are limited rooms at San Soloman Springs Court - during the week you may get lucky though. If they say they are full up, check out this place: El Oso Flojo Lodge - Balmorhea Texas

Rated as 'scuba friendly' :) Proprietor said they keep a room for rinsing gear...

It might be wise to contact the dive shop ahead of time also. Darrel is not always available and he is the only one who can do the fills. At least that is what we were told last time I was there.

Willie

Toyahvale Desert Oasis
SCUBA shop and San Solomon Springs Outfitter
Neta & Darrel Rhyne
P.O. Box 11, Toyahvale, Texas 79786
(915) 375-2572
oasis@overland.net

and

The Toyahvale Desert Oasis

I did an impromptu visit there on a weekday, and got a few surprises.

First, the owner of the "dive shop" there has a day job so you're most likely going to get air fills on weekends only. The up side? A tank will last you 2 or 3 dives there.

And bring a cert card. If you don't bring a cert card the park will not let you dive.

Next, be sure that you have reservations for a room there. There's not much there. If you want to stay at the park, I found the rooms nice. My friends who camped said that the neighbors playing stereos got old. But mid-week that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a local favorite place owned and run by a retired couple - Valley Inn (915) 375-2263. Right among the two restaurants in town. But if they don't know you're coming you may not find anyone in the office when you get there. The lady was cute. She says it isn't fancy, TV, shower, etc, but she can guarantee that it is clean, because she cleans them herself.

The other place to stay in town Country Inn, I do not suggest. The room we stayed in was in pretty bad shape, cleanliness-wise. The sinks and tub were pretty dirty, and my wife found hairs in the bed. It was clear that the sheets weren't changed after the last visitor. I wouldn't suggest it.

To get to the Valley Inn and the Bear's Den restaurant (Mexican), they're to the right of the stop sign in town, as if heading to the park.

The next closest hotel when I was there (a couple of years ago) was a chain hotel one stop to the east on I-10. I can't remember the name.

In any event, a mid-week dive there is nice. Not very many people at all, quiet and fun. Enjoy it!

Night dives can be arranged, too, but there's a $5.00 fee per diver, and the pool closes at 10 pm. The owner of the dive shop usually posts a cell phone number on the door when he's out. He can usually be reached, but if he's far from the shop, he might not be able to get back to provide air.
We've always stayed at the rooms at the park. They're older, but in good repair and they've always been very clean. Most of them are also "suites" with two bedrooms. (I think most of the rooms that used to have kitchenettes have been converted to bedrooms only, but if you have several people in the party, that makes it very cheap and convenient.)
Have fun!

Thank you everyone for all the tips, phone numbers advice etc. All of that information will be extremely helpful in planning my time there. I think I'm going to call this week and see about booking a room for spring break. I'll probably also call the dive shop owners and see about setting up something to meet up with them for fills. Again thank you to everyone for everything.

Ross,

You can book a room on the balmorhea State Park web site that Drilldaddy posted above. I stayed there this weekend, in my 5th wheel, and had a great weekend. Water was about 74-76 degrees and water was clear. There were only 6 divers the whole weekend, but I don't know about Spring Break. I live in El Paso so if you have an evening free drop me a line and maybe my wife and I can meet y'all for a libation and conversation.

Hi,

Can't wait to get there and get in that water. I'm not exactly sure what we have planned while in El Paso but as soon as I know I'll drop you a line. Hopefully we can get together one evening while I'm there.

Ross

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom