What fins for snorkelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting started to get some basic gear for snorkelling. When I look at the fins, I see there are the single piece, and there are the split fins. Which type is best for beginners in terms of easy to use and least effort to propel? I can only swim breaststroke, not free style, so I'd like to get something that's least demanding on the kicking power to move around. I've also read somewhere that the split fins are for diving and the single piece is for snorkelling - is that correct?

thanks,

Jason

Bale out answer here but you'll need to try some before buying......If this is impossible, order a pair of split fims IMO & get with it....., The ones I'd order is these, click link----Great price(plus 10% off available as a memeber of SB) & a good little fin(I use them & my wife got a pair last summer cuz she liked mine)....

Aeris Velocity Duo Fin reviews and discounts, Aeris

Hi,

I'm just getting started to get some basic gear for snorkelling. When I look at the fins, I see there are the single piece, and there are the split fins. Which type is best for beginners in terms of easy to use and least effort to propel? . . . I've also read somewhere that the split fins are for diving and the single piece is for snorkelling - is that correct? thanks, Jason

The simple answer, is all of the fins will work, even the old WW 2 "duck feet", very uncomfortable. What to search for initially is a comfortable fit for your foot. If you're only diving in warm water, with a sandy beach, a full foot pocket is a good choice, and you can find every style of blade offered. If the water is cold, or you have a rocky entry. . . wet suit boots with a sole, is a better choice, again all styles of blades are available to fit over a boot.

There are some fins that work better for snorkeling, usually long narrow blades that help you remain streamlined. These long blades can be the most expensive choices. Next most expensive will be the split blades. . . In my experience, these are the most comfortable when your legs are not in the best swimming condition.

But in choosing fins, the most important feature is how well they fit your foot. Whatever blade style you choose will be less important than comfortable feet. At the same time as the miserable "duck feet" were used because of their power, all rubber foot pocket fins were offered, less power but more comfort. . . those soft rubber fins are still offered, only in silicone for longer life.

Welcome to the board, click on "Forums" at the top of each page, look through the long list of topics and search for information for instruction, equipment and travel. Even look through the photo gallery to see why all us old divers have switched to SCUBA to get down to the fishes an hour at a time.

Even though I wear split fins for diving, I prefer conventional fins for snorkelling.

You don't want to spend a fortune, so stay with mid-price full foot fins. If you have choices pick the length according to your size - most are propotioned to the foot - and athletic ability. Bigger fins propel you better, but require more strengh and can tire unconditioned legs very quickly.

It's a judgement call, and the right answer might depend on whether your light and quick, or big and brawny.

One last thought, what you should spend on fins really depends on how often you plan to snorkel or possibly dive. If it's to be just an occasional thing don't go overboard since you won't be using them enough to justify the expense.

Hi,

I'm just getting started to get some basic gear for snorkelling. When I look at the fins, I see there are the single piece, and there are the split fins. Which type is best for beginners in terms of easy to use and least effort to propel? I can only swim breaststroke, not free style, so I'd like to get something that's least demanding on the kicking power to move around. I've also read somewhere that the split fins are for diving and the single piece is for snorkelling - is that correct?

thanks,

Jason

I have found Split fins a real pain on the surface. They seem to flop out of the water and fan more air than propelling you forward. For snorkeling I just use plain jane Body Glove fins from a sporting good store. They work just fine for me and believe it or not, increased my points on my 800 yard snorkel for DM.

Not true that "split fins are for diving and the single piece is for snorkelling" - people use both for diving. Both have their reasons.

I probably wouldn't buy split fins for snorkeling, they tend to be more expensive and you just don't need expensive fins for snorkeling. A lot of splits are also heavy, and if you're planning on traveling with your fins lighter is good. Some people prefer split because they find them easier, but when you're snorkeling you don't need much power anyway. You're not pushing all the dive gear, you're unlikely to be someplace you have to work against a current like you might run into diving, and there's no reason to be racing around anywhere, you see less that way.

I'd be mostly concerned with getting something comfortable so you're not getting blisters. Decide on full foot or adjustable based on where you will be using them. Adjustable fins of the same version cost more plus you need booties, but it's you're getting in the water anyplace other than a boat, sandy beach, or dock the protection of booties works out much better.

If you're like most, you'll start snorkeling and likely get "the bug" for water, marine life..on to diving. It's catching. Given that, I wouldn't go for a small, cheaper pair. You'll eventually try something better and think, "s**t, why didn't I get some of these", which you probably will.
Look at something longer and stiffer. Long blades aren't out of the question. I have some Beuchat longs, which are really comfortable...but I broke them after 4 years....another pair of beuchats that are about the same size as Avanti Quattro full foots (another great fin if you can find them) that work real well....but not quite enough for deeper free diving. I just bought a set of Riffe long blades and am getting adjusted...Go for at least a full foot, good diving fin.
my main point here is that I'd never use Avanti tres or Planas anymore...good "snorkeling" fins.... They suck. If you get in the ocean you'll want the power of better fins. You'll end up buying better ones later anyway...

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'll get boots and those adjustable fins so I could possibly use them for a little more different occassions. It sounds like more folks like single piece for snorkelling. Here are two I saw at scuba toys:

Tusa Liberator Fins

Oceanic Vector Fins

are these good choices? any difference between them?

thanks.

-jason

I have been diving the last 15 yrs with nice comfy soft black rubber full foot duck fins in all conditions. They are definitely not as powerful as the longer plastic fins, but I love them and stick with them. 100+ dives. If I knew I were going to face REALLY STRONG currents for extended periods, then I would break down and buy new, more powerful fins. But most of my diving is in the Carib.

SS,

I would recommend that you find a dive shop that is friendly, and try some fins in their pool. I've used paddles, splits, duckfeet, etc. and they all work. If you are strictly snorkeling, splits are kind of lame on the surface, as many others will tell you. I would also consider that you should get fins that are powerful, light weight, and not too long if you plan to pack them.

Personally, I use the Oceanways professional fins as they are light weight, easy to pack, and they have a history (all way back to World War II) of being reliable. They were originally designed by Italian frogman Luigi Ferraro and sold as the Cressi Rondine. They have been remade several times, but the design hasn't changed.

Here's info on Dr. Ferraro if you are curious:

http://www.xray-mag.com/en/content/technisub-founder-and-italian-war-hero-luigi-ferraro-gets-memorial-website

Here's what they look like:

gwk_oceanways_fins_l.jpg

Just get a pair of fin socks if they rub your feet. Fin socks are like ten bucks and they are worth their weight in gold. Get neoprene, not lycra. I've destroyed like three pairs of lycra fin socks already, but it's hard to bust the neoprene ones. I'd say with fin socks and these fins your total investment will be under 50 bucks, which is less than straps will costs you for some of those fancy latest, greatest fins.

I skin dive and snorkel a lot, and these fins work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom