Mirrors used to agitate fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently read a thread somewhere on this board about a fella who wanted to take a mirror down with him, so he could agitate a puffer into puffing up, for the photo op. He got as bit charred by other who thought as I did, that in was not a PC thing to do.. Harrassing fish for what ever reason, is just WRONG.
So now I get the newest copy of "California Diving. November 2003 Vol. 20 No.11, and in that issue, they have an article titled "FUN WITH MIRRORS By Dale Sheckler", promoting using a mirror to stimulate "territorial" responses from the fish. They even list the fishes who will get the most upset by this! They mention that some of this behaiviour can last the entire dive. Imagine the stess that puts into the fish.
If that weren't bad enough, they go on to tell the reader that "for even more fun" (quote) , you can surround the fish with mirrors as a "room of mirrors", so they don't know which intruder is which, and other tricks to upset the fish.
I think this is unconditionally unprofessional, childish and against the very standards that we as divers should be upholding!
Any one else got an opinion?
This really gets my goat!! I could not imagine doing that! Good thing It was a free periodical, or I would have taken it back. I think I am going to contact the outfit and give 'em a piece of my mind!
Maybe the author should hold up a mirror to a great white, and see how much fun that would be! this guy should be used for chum bait IMHO!

Not that I would do something like using a mirror underwater to agitate the fish, but it is kinda funny to imagine.

We used to put a mirror on the floor in front of our dog and watch him get all excited. His hair would stand up on end, he would start growling and barking, then we would "jump" the mirror towards him and then watch him turn and run. But in all fairness, when the fun was over, we were there to comfort him and tell him what a good boy he was. Then he would get all puffed up and proud that he "chased the bad dog away".

I, like you, think that it is wrong to tease fish and wild animals like that. After all, a lot of fish, especially the ones that we see diving, are very territorial. We are there to watch and enjoy them in their natural enviroment, not to tease and play with them.

diverrick once bubbled...
This really gets my goat!! I could not imagine doing that! Good thing It was a free periodical, or I would have taken it back. I think I am going to contact the outfit and give 'em a piece of my mind!
Don't bother. Scheckler generally ignores attempts to instill common sense. He may publish your letter... and it may be followed up with 8 more letters in support of the article and how fantastic the results were.

Best thing to do is let your LDS know how you feel about it and spread the word. Contact CDN's advertisers as well.

using a mirror is better than poking it with a dive knife like one jerk I saw...

... is that there are much more serious issues to worry about. I have no problem with hunting or this kind of low-level "interaction." You could think about avoiding dives anywhere your presence might stress the sea life out. Just your shadow does that while observing, after all.

Thanks for posting, however... I can't wait to try it!!!

diverrick once bubbled...

I think this is unconditionally unprofessional, childish and against the very standards that we as divers should be upholding!

<other things deleted>

this guy should be used for chum bait IMHO!

You are going to use a human as chum bait because he harassed a fish....

Seems to me that your priorities are a bit out of order.

I'd spend my time trying to change pollution in the ocean, the greenhouse effect, etc. before I worried about a fish being antagonized.

I do agree that taking the mirror down is a bit much, but the energy should be spent on higher things...IMHO

Although I am an underwater videographer and will occasionally interact with some of my subjects to elicit certain behaviors, I try to keep it to a minimum. I never show the interaction that triggered the behavior to avoid suggesting such interactions to viewers.

I did think the CDN article was a bit strange and would certainly recommend against it to other divers. I am surprised to see that several posters do not seem to think it is an issue worthy of posting here. I think all of us need to consider our effects on marine life as we dive and while we are on land (our personal contributions to global warming, etc.). No issue is too "small" to consider.

Yesterday I spent 40 min. of my first dive videotaping a giant kelpfish nest with two females laying eggs and the male fertilizing them. I've been watching that nest for 8 weeks and acclimating the male to my presence so he would not get agitated when I was there.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled... SNIP... No issue is too "small" to consider...SNIP
The poster wasn't "considering" anything... lol and yes, certainly, there are limits to what *I* consider too small but that's what makes Scubaboard great... we all get exposure to others opinions. All are welcome, even when over the top. Unsubscribing now to this thread... it's already wasted nwaaay more time than warranted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom