Dive Shop in Playa Del Carmen - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Playa Dive was pretty expensive (+30%) over the other dive shops and they were a bit optimistic about the quality of the dives we made. Yes they were beautiful, but 90% of the dives were barren landscape with little to see.

I paid $115 for a two-tank dive WITH my own gear and the wetsuit I rented was 3 sizes too big. Not sure I'd go back, but I really enjoyed Playa del Carmen in all other ways. Great trip.

oops sorry I figured it showed up in my contact info. I work for Scuba Playa. Not to be confused with dive playa or playa scuba. hehe... the creative juices are definately flowing in this town!!

I checked out Cyan-Ha last fall when I was in PDC. They are on the beach (kiosk style) a short walk from Gand Coco Bay resort. I was looking for a last minute 2 tank boat dive for the next day. I won't say the staff were rude but they certainly weren't interested in my business. After being ignored for about ten minutes after making my request - like they didn't want to make eye contact - I just left. I realize that an operation doesn't necessarily need a 'dive shop' to be a good, but I didn't see any evidence of rental gear, tanks, or anything that made me feel comfortable. Maybe I got this all wrong and they were just having a BAD DAY. I would like to hear some other opinions and maybe I will give them another chance. I don't like bashing a dive op if they don't deserve it.

I know this dive shop, and the instructors, and most of the people that works there, and i am pretty sure that what happened to you when you visit them, was something very unusual. They are a good operation, one of the first in Playa del Carmen, and one of their characteristic is the personal attention and service they give to clients.

Check out Jason at Fantaseadive in Playa. I had a great time diving with Jason. Treats you like family. He knows the reefs and will take care of you in Cozumel too. Makes a great video of your dive. Cenotes are OK one dive is enough. No fish just clear water and rock formations...give me the ocean anyday!!

Of course is a matter of preferences, some people does not like the fact to be in a overhead environment, there is not life basically, but i can show you that cenotes are much more than clear water and rock formations :wink:

Check out Jason at Fantaseadive in Playa. I had a great time diving with Jason. Treats you like family. He knows the reefs and will take care of you in Cozumel too. Makes a great video of your dive. Cenotes are OK one dive is enough. No fish just clear water and rock formations...give me the ocean anyday!!

I second Jason, check out his videos on this board he is good.....also you can check Dennis Weeks, Pez de diablo on this board
hope this helps

Considering the number of recommendations that you have received, maybe it would make sense for you to spend a morning walking around town talking to a few of the different operators to see who YOU are most comfortable with. I'm pretty sure that you can find most of them within a couple blocks of 5th ave.

I had a hard time finding GeoFish. They were on a corner with no large sign visible, but they had a smaller sign in the window. I would have gone diving with them, but couldn't find the shop and ended up at Scuba Playa.

I had a hard time finding GeoFish. They were on a corner with no large sign visible, but they had a smaller sign in the window. I would have gone diving with them, but couldn't find the shop and ended up at Scuba Playa.

Any review of Scuba Playa?

Damn cops keep making us move our sign off the street so we had to put it up top. Well sorry we missed you, but next time for sure! If only we could do something about the cars parking in front of our windows on 1st ave. Looks like it's time to start calling the towing company regularly. haha jk. No but seriously I glad you said that, we will get to the bottom of this problem, hot pink flashing signs are in our next advertising move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom