A640 DC-8 adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zransom

Reaction score
Hiya gang! I'm am after a dyron adapter for my DC-8 housing as well as a wide angle lens to fit such a critter. I have found a couple websites that offer them but they are all over seas and shipping costs more than the item. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these adapters and if so, may I ask where you aquired it? Thanks!

After doing some more searching I have found other companies, other than dyron, but all are over seas and prices are in euros. If the conversion is right they are around $70.00 for a piece of plastic, does that sound right? any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

I seriously doubt that any such adapter will work with a WA lens. It will allow you to use the macro lenses but not wide angle. Your housing and camera are all wrong for wide angle shooting.

N

Nemrod, I see that you use a a570 with WA lens, great shots by the way, and I have seen a620s use WA why not for the 640? I would like to obtain a macro lens as well, do you have any input on where to begin. I have always used an a620 as my underwater camera and a rebel xsi above, but just recently stumbled upon this a640 and would like to harness its potential. I know there are much better cameras out there but I know these guys are capable of some great shots. Thanks for your help.

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC8 Waterproof Case for the Powershot A640 and A630: Camera & Photo

That is the housing you have. The long SQUARE port is a no go for wide angle. Anything is possible for the sufficiently talented but that would not include me. That housing would require cutting the snout off and a whole bunch of things that would ultimately ruin it's value. The good news is that you are sitting there with a decent camera that cannot do what you want to do but you do not have TONS of money wrapped up in it.

My advice--sell it---and get one of these:

Canon A590IS with Ikelite housing:

Underwater Housing for Canon A580iS & A590iS Cameras

Underwater Housing for Canon A650is Camera

Fuji:

Underwater Housing for Fuji F60fd Digital Camera

These have a port that will accept various Inon and other manufacturer wet lenses. Cameras that have greater than a 4X zoom require such long ports that the wide angle lenses sit to far from the prime lens and thus vignette badly requiring severe zooming negating their usefulness. The reason the 570IS works so well, among various other things, is the short 4X zoom and both the Canon and Ikelite housings made for it have round ports.

It would be possible to cut an aluminum plate, use the screws common to the existing port to match drill the adapter plate and then using the front section from an Inon AD adapter or a 67MM filter ring make an adapter for macro lenses.

You will never get an effective wide angle arrangement IMO on that housing without spending tons of time and a bit of money too.

N

thanks for the input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom