Scubapro or aqualung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHOENIXDOLL

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just started the dive-con program with my shop and now I have to get new gear. Mine is not their stocked brands, and since I am teaching their students, they want the students to see only their stuff on me. I'm grinning and bearing that part because it is so important to me to continue on to instructor.

The question I have is which core equipment is better? Scubapro or Aqualung and their bylines of course. Those are my choices, and I have to give up my regulator, octopus, computer (yeah, I'm getting a galileo!) and my wetsuit has to be replaced as well. Any advice is well appreciated. What do I pick????

I am a pretty big ScubaPro fan so I would say get an MK25 with either a S600 or G250v second stage depending on the temp of water you will be diving in. Then add an R395 octo and the Galileo sol (they don't make the terra anymore). AFAIK both companies wetsuits are pretty comparable.

I was thinking of the mk17 with the g250. why is the mk25 your choice? And the octo has been driving me nuts. I had been looking at the scubapro r190 but it just didn't seem right. I have also been looking at the aqualung titan lx regulator. It seems that scubapro has the field on regulator though.

The Mk 25 is considered to be SP's premier top of the line reg, but mostly just by them. The fully sealed Mk 17 offers excellent cold water performance and is easier to rinse in warm water. It is also a lighter and more compact. The Mk 25 has more flow at 300 SCFM, but that is overkill as anything over 120-130 scfm is more than adequate when you consider event he best second stage will only flow about 65-70 SCFM. The flow rate on the Mk 17 is 177 scfm.

Honestly, I got a good deal on an MK25 from a shop that was going out of business so that's what I have. If I had to do it again I might get an MK17 but I do really like the MK25. I didn't think I'de care but the swivling lp turret is actually kind of helpful.

Buy what suits your needs and fits your budget. One is not better than the other.

I would tend to agree - to a point.
Overall, they match up pretty well but each has a few products that outshine (a little) the other.

@PHOENIXDOLL: I don't want to derail your gear-buying frenzy. All of us are familiar with that rush. :D I think it's great that your furthering your training, too.
Here's the one point I want to make:
I really hope that you're getting keyman discounts on all of that gear. Usually the keyman program is only open to current employees of the LDS. In case you didn't know, the keyman discount is substantial. How much you ask? Well, it's enough to make you want to purchase 2 sets of top-of-the-line gear...just for yourself.
If you don't currently have access to keyman discounts, you may want to steer clear of top-of-the-line gear...for now. One strategy that I'd recommend is to buy the shop's used rental gear, since it conforms with the sold-by-this-LDS policy. Usually the experienced gear can be had for a very nice discount. Once you're working for the shop...buy the top-of-the-line stuff with your superduper discount. The other stuff can be relegated to pool duty. Chlorine can be murder on gear.
If money is not an issue, then completely disregard this post.
OK, now back to the regular programming...

Back
Top Bottom