How to Keep an SMB Rolled-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3mm or 5mm bungee loop is great.

Even better leave it permanently attached to your reel handle with the same loops so its just a case of slide out and shoot with no other assembly needed.

Thanks to all for your good tips. I will try various things to see what works best for me.

Cheers

1/8" bungee loop through the ring of the bolt snap that I have attached to my SMB , that holds it rolled up .... then two 1/4 bungee loops attached on the side of my BC holds it tucked out of the way, yet easily deployed ...
Knighthawk BC
The pic does not show how the SMB is currently rolled with the SMB straps/bolt snap on the outside ... it actually is tucked in next to the wing and is more stremlined than this pic would indicate.

I got the idea from a friends set up on her BP/W

Thanks to all for your good tips. I will try various things to see what works best for me.

Cheers

Something to think about, I will typically keep everything in my pocket or stowed away between my plate and me. I just don't like stuff dangling from my harness or plate.

Sometimes when diving the single rig, however, I will clip the sausage off to a "D" ring, but it's not the best thing to do because somehow it always gets stuck on something while getting on the boat.

1/8" bungee loop through the ring of the bolt snap that I have attached to my SMB , that holds it rolled up .... then two 1/4 bungee loops attached on the side of my BC holds it tucked out of the way, yet easily deployed ...
Knighthawk BC
The pic does not show how the SMB is currently rolled with the SMB straps/bolt snap on the outside ... it actually is tucked in next to the wing and is more stremlined than this pic would indicate.

I got the idea from a friends set up on her BP/W

Thats exactly how I picture it!!!!

Ladies hair bands, a pack of 10 is a few bucks and are great for lots of scuba uses. I use them for holding jon lines coiled, octo holders and pretty much any where I need an elastic band. Throw one around your SMB and you are good to go. Get the ones without the metal clip.....you can get them in pretty colors or DIR black :)

Yep, hair bands have many many uses in divng, I also use one as a snorkel keeper and because my wrists are skinny to keep my gloves nice and snug. My wife uses one to keep her torch snug against her BCD strap when not in use!!!:D

Use a velcro cable tie. They are usually sold right next to the plastic zip ties. They have a hole at one end you can use a plastic zip tie to secure it to the SMB so you don't lose it. Here's an example of what we use. Velcro One Wrap, Wire Wrap, Velcro straps, Velcro Tie Wraps

We keep a handful in our save a dive kit. You will be amazed what they can be used for.

Last edited:
So my sausage came with a handy little bag to attach it to my BC. I suppose i should toss the bag and go with one of these ideas instead? seems like it would be harder to remove it from bag.

Surg tubing. Keep track of your thumb reel. I would keep it in a pocket. Not exactly sure why, but I've seen them unreel unintentionally more than once. I think there's not enough line on them to keep the loops tight, and once a few loops come off they cascade out. Never seen this happen with a true reel. I saw one person loose all their line on a thumb reel on each of her dives. She spent most of each dive recovering all the line.

Surg tubing. Keep track of your thumb reel. I would keep it in a pocket. Not exactly sure why, but I've seen them unreel unintentionally more than once. I think there's not enough line on them to keep the loops tight, and once a few loops come off they cascade out. Never seen this happen with a true reel. I saw one person loose all their line on a thumb reel on each of her dives. She spent most of each dive recovering all the line.

Most line lengthens when wetted. What was tightly wound when dry won't be once it's been soaked for a while. Spools need to be checked a few times while under water retightened as necessary. However, don't forget to release any clips or tension when you get back to the surface. I've heard of plastic spools that were tightened under water breaking or shattering as the line dried out and shrank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom