Gaining experience with Dive tours

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Jr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I have been pondering the concept of scuba diving for some time now, and may venture enough to become certified this year. I could type of book worth pros and cons of why I am debating this recreational activity over others; however, case in point is; once I become certified how does one continue gaining experience as safely as possible? I have a couple questions that will elaborate a little more on what it is I am asking.

I have two friends that have showed interests in become certified with me, however, that is now and when the time comes I cannot be certain they will still be interested. My concern is that if I certify on my own, I wouldn’t really have anyone that I knew directly that I could dive with. My concern is that even if we all certify together, are we ready to venture on w/o a DM in our shadows? Where and how can we safely continue to gain experience?

My other concern is it would be a let down to get certified and never venture out because I have no one to dive with. I live in Iowa and I know there are buddy lists out there; however, I am curious if there are other options. It seems like there are diving tours, where persons of any experience level can partake in since the tours involve DMs and other experienced divers, however, I see this option mostly for those who live in coastal states such as Florida. Are there similar opportunities in the Midwest?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Please ask and I will try to clarify if needed. Thanks!

jR.

I am actually on the same boat as you are. I've done 3 dives in Aruba, part of Discover Scuba Dive. My girlfriend did not feel comfortable and went to shore. My friends who like the idea of scuba diving, do not have the cash to go through certifications and equipment rental.

I will be watching this thread too...

Hi there,

Can't say I know much about the midwest - I am sure others who live there can share much more local info.

I will say that there are plenty of scuba class past intro level to help you continue your education. Also you will find many useful tips on this board, especially under "near misses," and many qualified people that are eager to answer any specific questions.

I was certified in SE Asia and have had no problem traveling alone & joining in with other groups while slowly learning more and more experience

Scuba certification is a key to fantastic vacations where there are plenty of DM's and other beginners/advanced divers--If there is a local dive shop you might want to check with them & see what types of trips they offer.

Good luck.

ScubaBoard is a great way to meet new buddies if you don't have any you can travel with. I have people I could dive with all over the country and even in a few countries outside the U.S. that I met here.

If you would prefer to travel with people who you know and are comfortable with, find a good Local Dive Shop (LDS) and get involved there. Many (most?) LDS arrange trips to great diving locations. That way you'll be traveling with buddies and instructors who you know.

If you prefer to travel with a SO instead of your LDS, and don't want to do the instabuddy thing, there are still options. Most dive ops will allow you the option to hire personal/private DiveMaster to be your guide. That is what I did at first.

As far diving locally, like I said find a good LDS. Get certified and if you still feel you want supervision until you gain experience, tell them. Many LDSs in this area have "fun days" at the local quarries where they offer to dive with new divers who still don't feel comfortable on their own. If your LDS doesn't do this, there is probably a DM or two that will be willing to poke around the local quarries with you (might involve a fee). I don't know how active IA is with divers or how many quarries you have, but here in VA there are several quarries. A few times (while I was still diving locally) I made threads in my regional subforum "I'd like to dive at X or Y quarry on A, B, or C date." I would get several responses and found experienced divers to dive with.

I have been diving for 30 years and I have been asked these very same questions by many folks.

My local dive shop and the one I teach for travel all over the world. We put trips together for just this very reason. It allows you to venture out, get your feet and see if you like dive travel.

We make trips to Fiji, the Cayman Islands, Bonaire, Cozumel, and also do liveaboard diving just to name a few. The trips vary in price and some divers like yourself are brand new and have never dove saltwater.

I was just in Florida this weekend at Morrision Springs certifying 15 brand new divers and doing advanced training for four more.

Visit with your local dive shop, ask about the dive travel, get copies of the brochures and talk to the person(s) that are going to lead the trip and find out if they have already been to these locations and if they are suited for new divers. This is a way to test the waters and after a trip or two you may be ready to do it on your own.

Ask questions on this board. Lots of good resources and experience here.

Hope this helps. Take the plunge you won't regret it.

(1) Get certified. (Locally, if possible. That way you'll have the knowledge and skills to dive locally.)

(2) Join a local dive club. You'll meet local divers and have built in buddies and dive mentors.

i am new to i will finshs my o/w this sat and sun this scuba board is great i meet some from az where my son lives i live in nc where his son lives he was more then willing to take me diving with him and me with him. the divers on this borad seam more then willing to help new diver and you learn alot from there exp and misshap and you will meet others in your class that will want to go diveing just make sure you have 1 of the OLD dogs go thay know best good luck. i just hope come sun i will be a real diver

Remember in your classes, you'll probably meet others who are in the same boat as you ie know no other divers...Get to be buddies with these & also joining dive clubs afterwards will probably fill the gap..As far as dive traveling is concerned, when you get to a (foreign) destination, most there are the same as you---ie traveling alone(maybe husband & wife teams) but mostly on their own--unless your dive club travels well, then you'll have 'it made'........

One of the interesting things for me, when I learned to dive, was to discover just how many divers there were in my area. (Now, of course, Seattle is a diving Mecca, but I suspect the same is true just about everywhere -- there are more divers than you think.) The local dive shop is a very good way to meet other divers. Scubaboard is a good way to meet local divers. Local dive clubs are great (and the dive shops generally know who and what they are). A number of BBs of which I am a member have regional sections with a "standing offer to dive with new divers" thread.

For travel, you can make trips organized by a dive shop (I think most of them do it, because it's a money maker for them). Or, if you are headed to a specific destination, you can post here in the appropriate regional forum, and ask if anybody local is willing to show a visiting diver the sights. (I do this regularly for folks coming in to Seattle.)

I think you'll find that, with just a little energy on your part, you won't lack for people with whom to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom