aluminum tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old guy

Reaction score
Do new manufacture aluminum tanks still have problems with cracking around the neck.

My LDS has some new Genesis 80's for a good price.

So far, no.

Roak

the alloy composition was changed to stop the cracking...

Butch :peace:

Luxfer was the only brand, to my knowledge, to have that problem.

At the shopwhere I work, we had 2 3000 psi Luxfers out of ten fail their first hydro. Those are not very good odds. Wehave had much better luck with Catalina tanks. Check the manufacturer, it is stamped right on the kneck of the tank.

The only alum. cylinders that had a problem where cylinders manufactured with alloy # 6351 from dates; 1972-1988

Luxfer now uses alloy 6061 as their proprietary alloy. No sustained load cracks have been reported since. Alloy is not the only reason a cylinder may fail hydro. Continuous over fills, or heavy use contributes to factors effecting the life of the cylinder.

If you drive your car 90 mph to work everyday it's not going to last as long as if you went 55 mph.

I think the question should not be does al tanks have crack but what is the failure rate of cracks and practically ALL tanks can crack.

Ed

Any new tank should be fine. Check the DOT if you have any questions about the bad alloys.

Scott

Hello,

You still have issues with tank threads. I have a NEW tank with some imperfections in the threads. We (rainreg and I) are monitoring it's progress and so far, 3 years, no growth. I'm told that problems like this is 'normal' So it's not just a question of bad alloys.

Ed

Originally posted by scuba_adventurer
Luxfer was the only brand, to my knowledge, to have that problem.
Walter Kiddee, Norris Industries and one more that I can't remember off the top of my head also used 6351.

Kaiser made cylinders of a third alloy but they were pulled (and should be condemned if found) because, I like the way Ed Kasten put it, "They were a marketing dream came true because each time you filled them, they held more air!" :)

Roak

Back
Top Bottom