OML/Terranea closed for 30 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm so glad we got that dive in! The parking situation was pretty awesome....too bad we didn't know before we lugged the carts with all our gear down!

I know! Oh, well, the dive rocked and getting the gear out (the harder part) was made easy.

I just feel bad for Cody having missed it!

Guess it's time to try some new sites...

I'm so glad we got that dive in! The parking situation was pretty awesome....too bad we didn't know before we lugged the carts with all our gear down!
D-oh! You missed some earlier posts. We've been parking there for a couple months now. Did you dive the point or 120 reef? It was a little green, but not bad at the point with 12-15 feet vis. It was flat enough that 12 of us entered there.

We went in at the point, came out at the other side though (conditions had picked up), so at least we were able to drive the cars down and didn't have to haul everything back up. Blame Cody for the bad info!

Yup, in at the point, out at cobble beach....lugged our carts and stuff down and then walked up to the parking place and drove our cars down to pick our stuff up! :wink:

I fully blame Cody....he needs to plan our dive for us better next time!

Actually, when I got to the old parking lot and it was all closed, I ended up making my way into the resort area and following some people in part-way, before I stopped and made a call to Rainer....then, per Cody's instructions, we went back to the old parking lot!

BTW, regarding the parking situation....when OML/Terranea opens back up (after the 30 day closure), will they let us park in the same area? What about when the resort is complete and open to the public and everything?

They're beginning work on the lower trail and beach now, so we will probably have to park on the street and haul gear down the trail. After the resort opens in June we will park just uphill from the hotel, about equal to where we parked from 1987 until two years ago. It will be really nice having restrooms, showers and a snack bar where we have been parking the past two months. Of course, the traffic on P.V. Drive South might be a little heavy with a resort, golf course and 500+ room hotel, so arrive early for diving. :)

I wouldnt worry to much about traffic 'round the old Marineland site. I have a feeling that the state of the economy will not be kind to the resort for the next few years. Anybody have any idea how condo sales are doing? Word from friends in Hawaii is that the time-share industry is in dire straights there. I cant imagine it being much better over here.

No need for snorkels in Laguna any more. The snorkel police has been disbanded thanks to the work of Gordy of the former Laguna Sea Sports.

Pt. Vicente lookout and parking lot is closed for renovation. The restrooms will be remodeled and the lot will be expanded to include 50 new spaces and a trail head into Terranea and the Point.

Beginning Thursday, March 12th, the coastal access trail to the lower beach and the lower beach will be temporarily closed for 30-days to construct the beach improvements approved by the City Council in October 2008. The beach improvements consists of the import of approximately 1,500 cubic yards of sand, the construction of a foot bridge, construction of a vegetated drainage channel, and the installation of safety fencing. When completed, the lower beach improvements will provide recreational opportunities for the general public and hotel guests.
For more information, contact Ara Mihranian, Principal Planner with the City of Rancho Palos Verdes at 310-544-5228 or via email at aram@rpv.com.

Back
Top Bottom