OML/Terranea closed for 30 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped by there today to check out the work. They're digging the drainage ditch, but it looks like they may be leaving the net. It's right at the high tide line.
Picture015-4.jpg

Picture016-2.jpg

23.jpg

The law is still on the books. I know of three divers who have been stopped in the past year.

It may still be on the books, but it should not be enforced. When did these three divers get stopped (what time of the year?) Were they told they could not dive without a snorkel?

All of them were last summer. One, our own Laurel Valker was told to go back and get a snorkel. She found a part of one on the stairs and was allowed to dive with it. I seem to remember Debbie Karamoto mentioning that the Marine Safety Officer had a talk with the lifeguard about it, but it does still happen on occasion. I've only made two dive in Laguna Beach in the past three years and never park in metered parking there. I refuse to put one cent into their coffers until they repeal the archaic rules.

All of them were last summer. One, our own Laurel Valker was told to go back and get a snorkel. She found a part of one on the stairs and was allowed to dive with it. I seem to remember Debbie Karamoto mentioning that the Marine Safety Officer had a talk with the lifeguard about it, but it does still happen on occasion. I've only made two dive in Laguna Beach in the past three years and never park in metered parking there. I refuse to put one cent into their coffers until they repeal the archaic rules.

I don't think Laurel's event was last year and may have been prior to the rule changes. I do remember Jan talking about being turned away by the "snorkel police" but that had to do with what the lifeguard thought was a class taking place. Laguna has rules about classes and what hours/times of year they can dive which are very nice for regular divers.
Saying that it happens on occasion and providing factual events are two different things. Perpetuating rumors of past rules that no longer are in effect should be based on no better than second or third hand stories does a disservice to the location. It would be the equivalent of telling people Long Point is not worth diving because it's a long walk and you might get hassled by the security guards.(Not that Laguna can compare to Long Point, but it's still got some nice sites and the better ones don't have meters!)

I agree that Laguna has some nice sites, but the fact is the law is still enforceable. I don't know the names of the other two divers so I can't find the posts, but it was after the Marine Safety officer said the rules would be relaxed. As for Marineland, I wish people would be turned away. I loved having the place to myself. :)

We were able to slip into OML today by fluke (new guard ;~) 10' to less Feet'o'Vizz reported from the point to cove, surgy, and freezing, entry/exit timing was the key, interesting beach exits with the new bio swail trench in place. The old bundled dangerous net is officially dug up and gone! Yaaay!

Saw a dive charter out in the sandbar outside the "120 Reef", weird?? I would have anchored at Long Point, waaay better diving! As they pulled out Gary Jackson and the Psalty V pulled in to dive the "Jenny Lynn" wreck with Cal Wreck Divers. She's at about 140' off Long Point, hope to see it next week with ODA. Apparently it's covered in nets, yuk! Nice day out there!

Just as a reminder,
I talked to John Lee today and he assured me that under no circumstances is the public to be allowed onsite for the next thirty days. With an open ditch, empty pools and heavy equipment at the beach, Turner Construction and Terranea cannot risk injury to a civilian while they rush to finish the project.

Max is right, IT IS CLOSED!

...some divers didn't hear about the closure, they were then let in by a (new) guard this morning that didn't hear about the closure either. The divers called me to ask why it's a ghost town today? Haa! I said "we'll be right over if the guards say so", and that's how it happened...

I'm sure I'll hear about it on Monday ;~)

someone mentioned "Christmas Tree" and "Honeymoon" in an earlier post...can you or others elaborate with details? i've been diving my dubs at Vet's for the last 2 years and frankly i need a change so am getting back into some more single tank diving and looking for good spots close to LA. i was with Rainer and Liger at OML and loved it...

thx!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom