Mac & Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mac options for dive computers:
3) Oceanic, if you don't mind waiting and using Parallels in the meantime. Oceanic has confirmed that they are developing Mac software (finally!) for their computers. No ETA for the ship date, however.

That's news...can you point to where a representative from Oceanic has made this statement?

That's news...can you point to where a representative from Oceanic has made this statement?

I could swear I read this just recently (like this week, although it wasn't necessarily a new post).

But now I can't find the post anywhere. I'll edit my post to change this until I can confirm...

I know Doug mentioned that their team is busy working a complete redesign of the Windows application, but for the Mac, the last thing I've heard is that it's under consideration. It would be cool if they were to build a Mac application (even if only to add driver support and allow downloading dives to a DB which could then be imported into a third-party log application).

From a development and time to market perspective what Oceanic/Pelagic
should do at least in the near term is the minor tweaks necessary
to run their Oceanlog/ACI application under Wine and Darwine.

This wouldn't be that difficult to do compared to a full new development
and then all the Linux and MAC OS guys would then have a nearly native
dive application.

If they really are doing a redesign of the s/w they would be foolish not
to take into consideration Wine & Darwine.

--- bill

I am a Mac guy. Well, I have lots of computers but the machine that sits on my lap that I want to use my dive log on is a Mac.

I used to use a Suunto D6. I ran Suunto's software under VMWare Fusion/Windows. (Same deal as Parallels.) It worked fine. I usually have the Windows side fired up anyway for some reason.

I switched to an Uwatec computer recently. Their Mac software, Jtrak, stinks. The Windows software is much better though it makes Suunto's software look fantastic in comparison. So, I will be doing Windows on my Mac still.

Well, once I get my IrDA USB dongle in the mail. It was about $5 at DealExtreme. No need to spend a mint on Uwatec's version, I hope!

I will have to try Diving Log to see if it is worth the money compared to free SmarTrak.

I switched to an Uwatec computer recently. Their Mac software, Jtrak, stinks. The Windows software is much better though it makes Suunto's software look fantastic in comparison. So, I will be doing Windows on my Mac still.

No argument that SmartTrak is better the jTrak, but what is it you like about Suunto's software better than SmartTrak?

First thing that comes to mind is I cannot define my own tanks. In Suunto's app I can put "X8-119" in the cylinder list and specify capacity and pressure. In SmarTrak I have a pre-set list of tanks to choose from. I can change their specs, but not their names. So I have to remember that the tank listed as a 120 cu ft is actually my HP 119.

If there is a way to edit the name, I missed it despite looking for it, which is more evidence that it is crummy.

Adding dive sites is cumbersome. Awkward interface.

I can't have my graph show heart rate AND temp AND workload. It's one extra bit of data at a time. The Suunto app let you show pressure and temperature at the same time as I recall. I can't even find a way to show gas consumption on the SmarTrak dive profile at all--just the "workload" line.

It gets the job done, but only a mother could love it. Perhaps it's the case of the devil you know. I have 84 dives on the Suunto app and a couple on the Uwatec app.

I am interested in that German dive log app, but it doesn't do SAC calculations per the faq. Yeah I can do them myself but I bought a computer so I don't HAVE to do math any more, nor scrawl notes on pages myself. :)

I feel your pain I have a UWATEC Galileo Sol and I have yet to get the IRDA and the software and the console to talk. I even have UWATEC's $100 irda. I dont want to run win on my Mac (It make's your Mac die a little inside) but I might have to if I can't find a solution. But good luck with you decision if you haven't made it yet

It DOES make the Mac die a little inside, don't it? :)

I also have a tiny $300 Costco Windows laptop that I will use if IrDA gives me fits on the Mac/Win beast. It will probably work fine. (fingers crossed!)

First thing that comes to mind is I cannot define my own tanks. In Suunto's app I can put "X8-119" in the cylinder list and specify capacity and pressure. In SmarTrak I have a pre-set list of tanks to choose from. I can change their specs, but not their names. So I have to remember that the tank listed as a 120 cu ft is actually my HP 119.

If there is a way to edit the name, I missed it despite looking for it, which is more evidence that it is crummy.

Adding dive sites is cumbersome. Awkward interface.

I can't have my graph show heart rate AND temp AND workload. It's one extra bit of data at a time. The Suunto app let you show pressure and temperature at the same time as I recall. I can't even find a way to show gas consumption on the SmarTrak dive profile at all--just the "workload" line.

It gets the job done, but only a mother could love it. Perhaps it's the case of the devil you know. I have 84 dives on the Suunto app and a couple on the Uwatec app.

I am interested in that German dive log app, but it doesn't do SAC calculations per the faq. Yeah I can do them myself but I bought a computer so I don't HAVE to do math any more, nor scrawl notes on pages myself. :)

I have all of my personal tanks defined. It's in there. I agree the interface needs an overhaul (it actually is being worked on, I traded many emails with someone who was feeding suggesting to one of the developers who had sought input), but as far as fully featured, I don't think anything else comes close.

Diving Log (.de) is slick, but it has it's own set of issues (it does sync log info over to my iPhone, though, so it gets a pass!). I have yet to see the perfect software... I'm not sure why developers seem to be having so much trouble with what has to be a relatively simple software program... there's not THAT much they need to do. Database 101 stuff, plus basic i/o. At this point, though, I'd rather see a clumsy interface but with all the features, than a slick interface but missing critical features (which is why DivingLog is not my primary software, rather just a conduit to the iPhone).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom