SD1000 case missing diffuser; how big a problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Okay, doing some preliminary packing today for a trip to Bonaire (heading out this coming Thursday, since we've got some other travel arrangements in the meantime).

Noticed my wife's SD1000's WP-DC13 underwater case is missing the diffuser. I have no idea where it is. We've had this over a year and may've lost it somewhere along the way, so it's not a warranty issue.

For point and shoot snap shots in Bonaire, how big a deal is this?

I once bought replacement O rings for an A620's underwater case from Canon USA direct; they were quite expensive. I'm guessing that little piece of diffuser plastic plus shipping will be likewise.

Jami doesn't get into photography big time, but I'd like her shots to be good.

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

I would think not a big deal. I would guess that using the built-in flash isn't even helpful in most situations as long as you have enough natural light. We each have the same camera and housing and my girlfriend is usually doing videos or in digital macro mode, in both cases no flash is used. I have an external strobe, so I never use it either.

Even if you do use the flash, it just means that the light isn't being diffused as much, it's going more directly at what you are photographing. I would guess it may even be hard to tell the difference, since in both cases your flash is right near your lens anyways and will cause backscatter either way.

Also, I'm not sure when you are leaving, but I could send you one of ours. I bet at least one of them is brand new...because that's how much you need them.

I would disagree with the previous poster. (at least on the sd850)
I have the sd850is and it makes a big difference.
The reason the diffuser helps is that the diffuser essentially moves the light source forward.
In other words it is like having the flash even with the end of the lens port so that
it no longer blocks the light.
Without the diffuser you will see a very noticeable shadow across your images.

To see the effect, you can take a few photos on land at home.
Put the camera into the housing and take a few pictures in a very dim room
so that the flash will fire.
You will see the shadow created by the lens port of the housing.
The shadow effect varies depending on the distance to the subject.

This shadow is removed when the diffuser is used.

The good news is that in Bonaire, there is often enough light
when the depth is around 50ft or less so that you won't need to use a flash.

--- bill

Last edited:
marcaumarc

I got this from Canon after I e-mailed wanting to buy a diffuser:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry to
hear the diffuser for your WP-DC13 case is missing.

For the price and availability of parts for your case, please contact
the Jamesburg Factory Service Center below and select the appropriate
prompts for ordering parts.

Canon Factory Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Tel.# (732)521-7230

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your
SD1000 camera.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

They open at 9 a.m. Monday morning EST. I hope to call them & maybe even get a replacement O ring at the same time. I don't know how fast they can move.

Thanks very much for the offer of the diffuser; if it comes to it, do you have means to accept PayPal?

Bill:

Thanks for your input, too. Jami usually doesn't do any macro or closeups, but I suppose it could have effects on other shots, too.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom