Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awww... come on everybody. Any basic trainee knows that the only knife really designed as a weapon is a bayonet. Remember such touching shouts as "Sergeant: the red, red blood makes the grass grow green!" and "what is the spirit of the bayonet? to KILL, to KILL, and TO KILL WITHOUT MERCY". If you're diving with a bayonet and a rifle - you have a weapon... otherwise you have a tool. One of the things I never could get my head around was "if you bayonet the enemy and your bayonet is stuck (like in their sternum), squeeze off a round and let the kick of the rifle help you remove the bayonet." This is totally illogical! If you had a round in the weapon, why in the name of God would you bayonet somebody???

Sorry for the off-topic remark, but I guess one delimiter between knives as weapons and knives as tools is appropriate :D

Of course, that was in 1968, and things may have changed since then :wink:

Sorry, I forgot to post my own opinion on what I think of my diving knife. I feel that yes, the dive knife is more of a tool than a weapon. I use it to cut entanglements and an occasional slash at a friend that angers me, but if something were to attack me, say a shark or something. Other than giving up I would use the knife as a weapon.
Oh give me a break. If a shark were to "attack" you, the first thing you would do is bleed all over the place. Then you would take a dump in your wetsuit - and maybe a piss too. If you didn't pass out from blood loss or shock, you would be screamin' for mommy and lookin' for the boat. The odds you of having the presence of mind to locate, grab, and use your knife in anything resembling a productive fashion are much less than the odds of a shark attacking you.

Besides all of that - even if you, somehow, managed to bury your big ass dive knife into a shark, all the way up to the handle, it wouldn't even be enough to make the shark notice - much less care.

My vote: dive knife is not a weapon, unless you're on land and lookin' for the guy that made off with your girlfriend.

toxdoc, it changed a little, when I did basic it was "what makes the grass grow? Blood! what kinds of bayonet fighters are there? The quick and the Dead! now what are you? (silence and many push-ups later) QUICK!

I still think it kind of funny being taught to bring a bigass knife to a gunfight when its likely the other guy and his friends aren't out of bullets when I am. Murphy's rules of combat, when you're out, they ain't.

to get back on topic,
Diveknife is not a weapon

Wow... denialists on both sides. How quaint.

I dare anyone to leave that BFK in it's cozy little sheath -- since it's only a tool -- when a tiger shark shows up at the reef, you're 100' down watching the show (warming your wet suit) and he gives you a gentle bump and run feeler-pass. lol.

I'm the first to admit WE are the most dangerous things in the water, and yes, stabbing an irritate predator isn't going to stop that attack. If a large predator does catch me/you/anyone at depth and has decided it's meal time, I'd like to think I'm a little more denfensive minded than hoping to bat it away so he can circle back again and again.

Dive knives are tools, which INCLUDES being a weapon if needed.

(One reason why my shears don't replace my knifes... the BC mini or the BFK tactical-holster). :)

Weapon... Yes I carry my dive knife around in case I had to battle evil doers or solve a mystery. My dive knife gives me magical Kung ** powers and helps me to channel the powers of Gray Skull.

It's a tool!

Wow... denialists on both sides. How quaint.

I dare anyone to leave that BFK in it's cozy little sheath -- since it's only a tool -- when a tiger shark shows up at the reef, you're 100' down watching the show (warming your wet suit) and he gives you a gentle bump and run feeler-pass. lol.

I'm the first to admit WE are the most dangerous things in the water, and yes, stabbing an irritate predator isn't going to stop that attack. If a large predator does catch me/you/anyone at depth and has decided it's meal time, I'd like to think I'm a little more denfensive minded than hoping to bat it away so he can circle back again and again.

Dive knives are tools, which INCLUDES being a weapon if needed.

(One reason why my shears don't replace my knifes... the BC mini or the BFK tactical-holster). :)

Well, a knife is a weapon if it is the right kind of knife. Divers have killed sharks and again just recently in the Gulf a yahoo killed a tiger with a knife and spear. It was an unwarranted killing but nonetheless there is a dead shark and a knife did the final kill supposedly. All in all it was a pretty sick thing.

Yes, a large, sharp knife is a lethal weapon.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom