First snow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Here it is. Woke up this morning to the first sticking snow here in Spokane, WA. I'm working today but will make a nice snow-dive first thing tomorrow. I've been reviewing cold water regulator posts (don't breath on reg until in the water, tune down 2nd, etc). This year I plan to dive all the holidays.. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.
The snow is beautiful and makes the landscape so peaceful and quiet... Ahhh.....

Must admit I prefer my water wet rather than white. Here on Catalina we have the best of both worlds. On a clear day we can see the snow on top of the San Gabriels, etc., but still dive in reasonably warm water.

To my SB 'mates' living where water does turn white, hope this winter brings you some good tropical diving... unless you switch to skiing for the duration.

Dr. Bill

I woke up this morning to snow here in the Seattle area too. It isn't sticking on the roads and around here, it is pretty much mixed with rain. But south of here, in the Tumwater and Olympia area, it is sticking to everything.

This is the earliest that I can remember ever getting snow around here. When I was growing up, many moons ago, I can remember having the first snow fall right around Thanksgiving, if not on Thanksgiving day.

Could make for some interesting SI's.

drbill once bubbled...
Must admit I prefer my water wet rather than white. Here on Catalina we have the best of both worlds. On a clear day we can see the snow on top of the San Gabriels, etc., but still dive in reasonably warm water.

To my SB 'mates' living where water does turn white, hope this winter brings you some good tropical diving... unless you switch to skiing for the duration.

Dr. Bill

I was raised diving in S. CA., and I can assure you that there is a very white, snow-like substance all over Cat. island. Like on bird rock...:)

Yeah winter sucks, I was just checking temps along the coast and the water temp dropped below 80 this week-except for the lower keys, everything is in the upper 70's Brrrrrrr.

DennisS once bubbled...
Yeah winter sucks, I was just checking temps along the coast and the water temp dropped below 80 this week-except for the lower keys, everything is in the upper 70's Brrrrrrr.

I am with you Dennis, BRRRR!

DennisS once bubbled...

I hate you guys that live in florida, and wine about the winter... Its been nice up here this weekend, but we did have snow last week... I am not looking forward to this winter!!!!!

Hopefully goin to be getting some dives in before the winter sets in...

Rick Inman- I guess you all about "Ski Bird Rock." Well, I didn't miss seeing snow today, but I did encounter and video a torpedo ray in the Dive Park.

Dr. Bill

let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! I am ready for ski season. The water is just getting to be a bit too chilly and even more importantly is that those surface intervals are a bit too chilly, thought since it was about 80 today it would have been a great day but I fear it is the last. Besides I have two shiny new pairs of skis that I am waiting to try.

DennisS once bubbled...

Come on, ya hot house pansies! mid to low 70's is perfect for a nice comfy 3 mil wetsuit! Ya can't beat that temp! Plus you aren't dealing with 90F/90%RH when lugging all your gear around! Winter diving in Florida is perfect! (Well, except for the slightly more frequent rough water and reduced visibility.)

THe only real issue is air temp. I remember doing a February quarry dive at the Devil's Den site. I was in my truck with the heater going, my wet suit and a ski jacket on, and I was still freezing! (Gotta love water-shedding leather seats!) Of course, it was a bit cold that day, what with the ice in the barbeques nearby!

Back
Top Bottom