PADI or SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest to go PADI. Not because PADI is great or anything, but because that PADI does not work and play well with others. If you ever found yourself in the position of having to crossover to another agency it is easier to do from PADI than to PADI. At least that is my understanding of the process.

Cross over varies massively depending on the agencies. PADI dont make it harder (in fact i agree with them - you should have to sit and pass an agencies instructor exams to teach for that agency!)

BSAC make crossing over to them very easy, in my view too easy for example.

Look online at any place you want to dive in the world and see all the different shops.

where online would I look to find shops and what their affiliation is? I am in Atlanta and want to discuss options with all types of shops for what certification agency to work with. but I haven't found a listing of say shops in Atlanta associated with PADI, or shops that do SSI...etc...does that make sense?

Look online at any place you want to dive in the world and see all the different shops.

where online would I look to find shops and what their affiliation is? I am in Atlanta and want to discuss options with all types of shops for what certification agency to work with. but I haven't found a listing of say shops in Atlanta associated with PADI, or shops that do SSI...etc...does that make sense?

yellowpages.com

or go to PADI or SSI site and you can all affiliated shops in a given area

You will find far more PADI shops and resorts than SSI.

If you are looking to make money try something else.

Last edited:
Going to depend onthe shop you want to work with or for that matter if you even want to work thru a shop. PADI allows independant instructors while SSI does not. To be a SSI Instructor you MUST be affiliated with one of their stores, making it more difficult if you were to have a dissagreement in that store. With PADI you can go almost anywhere.

This post and Walters post are my favorites on the thread so far.

SSI and PADI differ little in content. SSI basically copied the PADI system, changed 2 things so they can't be sued for infringements on intellectual property rights and that's it. In terms of approach they're virtually identical.

What pri8 explains is important. As a PADI instructor you have a LOT more freedom than you do as an SSI instructor.

There are, however other options that I wouldn't write off if I were you. You should query Walter on what's good and what's not. he knows more about the differences between agencies than most people (and certainly more than me).

That said, in terms of getting jobs, PADI still has a larger market share than all other agencies combined and if what you're looking to do is make a go at working as an instructor, there's only really rational choice on the international scene. Locally, you might find that you have more options.

If you want to make money as a scuba instructor then

1) you must be lucky
2) you must be willing to travel extensively
3) you must have other skills besides being a dive instructor

Margins are small in the scuba market. There aren't many instructors who make more than subsistence wages and there are many who could double (or triple) their salary by taking a job shaking the oil out of the french fries at McDonalds.

R..

I'm wanting to be an Instructor, I'm already open water.Don't know which one to use PADI or SSI any suggestions?

You're Open Water certified? Get more experience. You don't need to decide right now. I talk to instructors and dive shop owners. Every day I learn a little more. I got my Open Water. I did a lot of dives. I got my Advanced Open Water. I didn't think about which agency I wanted to use. The minimum standards are pretty much the same. The instructor will make the difference. First instructor (OW) was PADI. Second instructor (AOW) was SSI and PADI. She told me to do what she calls PADI+. She is still around so I'm sticking with PADI. Almost switched to NAUI but the club had too much overhead (rented space from university; university required students to pay $170/year fee on top of scuba fees).

In other words, don't worry about becoming an instructor. Find a good instructor and learn to dive well. A year or two from now you'll know enough to decide whether (a) you want to be a instructor and (b) which agency you want to work with.

P.S. When I started diving and thought I might want to be an instructor I knew about Naui, SSI and PADI. There are a LOT more out there: ACUC, CMAS, BSAC, PDIC, SDI/TDI.

what does a dive instructor make a year?

To teach diving or work as a DM? Hardly any money there. If you're an instructor and you get a job with a cruise line the money can be good. My second job as an instructor was with a cruise line and I started at $2000/month. I also had no expenses and free flights to and from the ship, not to mention the travel while working. It was awesome but I hardly ever got to dive and I certainly never taught diving as part of the job. The main part of the job is teaching and leading snorkeling tours. It is a lot of fun but your dive experience doesn't increase a whole lot.

Going to depend onthe shop you want to work with or for that matter if you even want to work thru a shop. PADI allows independant instructors while SSI does not. To be a SSI Instructor you MUST be affiliated with one of their stores, making it more difficult if you were to have a dissagreement in that store. With PADI you can go almost anywhere.
Do you think that SSI must allow independant instructors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom