Why do you log dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log my dives

1.) to keep a record of locations I have dove
2.) as a record of my training (such as specialty courses)
3.) because certain dives have memorable events, and I might want to visit a spot again

4.) as a record of equipment specifics, such as any problems that occured or how much weight was needed, etc.

5.) because I'm becoming a "dive professional" and want to set a possitive example for students

6.) because it gives me something to do either during the surface interval or at home

Go digital with you dive logs!!! I started using digital dive logs online and found the enjoyment in keeping track again. I have found success with American Dive Institute's dive log system at AmericanDiveInstitute .com

Do you have any screen shots of what their logs look like. I'd like to have a digital record as well. Unfortunately Mac isn't supported by Aeris (so I can't download from my dive computer) and places like divelogs. de don't have SSI logs. I could probably just use another type of log but I prefer to use the logs that I'm familiar with

I've logged every meal I've eaten for the last ten years. Happy memories of breakfast 4th June 2003!

I've logged all my dives because the giant scuba brain floating in the tank at PADI HQ says I have to. Isn't that enough for you people!? THE GIANT BRAIN SAYS SO!

Then again, it's fun to secretly look at the data and put it in spread sheets and make graphs when the wife is out shopping.

I log my dives
Do you have any screen shots of what their logs look like. I'd like to have a digital record as well. Unfortunately Mac isn't supported by Aeris (so I can't download from my dive computer) and places like divelogs. de don't have SSI logs. I could probably just use another type of log but I prefer to use the logs that I'm familiar with

Great reasons for logging!

I recently switched to a Mac but I use UWATEC's SmartTrack for logging (despite the fact that I don't actually use the computer any more). It's Windows based. I purchased Parallels which makes running Windows applications a snap on a Mac. You might want to consider it as there is a larger pool of dive software toys for the PC hands down.

I log my dives

1.) to keep a record of locations I have dove
2.) as a record of my training (such as specialty courses)
3.) because certain dives have memorable events, and I might want to visit a spot again

4.) as a record of equipment specifics, such as any problems that occured or how much weight was needed, etc.

5.) because I'm becoming a "dive professional" and want to set a possitive example for students

6.) because it gives me something to do either during the surface interval or at home

I don't have any screen shots but it is a FREE service. No credit cards needed. Just free. You can register at Member Scuba Dive to Log Dives and Research Scuba Dive Sites It is a service of American Dive Institute that has been made available to everyone.

As a videographer, I log dives and download profiles from my computer. It helps me to identify where and at what depth I videotaped a subject. I also post my log on-line so divers in SoCal can check the min temp given the profile I dove nd determine what exposure protection they may need.

And I also like to tally my dives even though I have no logged records of any of my diving from 1961 to June, 2000 (at least that I can find).

Like a lot of people have already said. at my young "diving" age, I need logged dives to advance on with other specialties, but mainly it is because I want to remember and recall dives I have done, and places I have been and things I have seen and experienced.

it's almost everything everyone said before plus part of my job's requirement says i have to

I recently switched to a Mac but I use UWATEC's SmartTrack for logging (despite the fact that I don't actually use the computer any more). It's Windows based. I purchased Parallels which makes running Windows applications a snap on a Mac. You might want to consider it as there is a larger pool of dive software toys for the PC hands down.

I'll check that out. Thanks

I don't have any screen shots but it is a FREE service. No credit cards needed. Just free. You can register at Member Scuba Dive to Log Dives and Research Scuba Dive Sites It is a service of American Dive Institute that has been made available to everyone.

Thanks to you as well for the link. I'll look into that service also

Why not just use Jtrack for the Mac? Equally free, Mac native, does the same job.

I log every dive and always have, its a very usefull tool when you take details of dive sites, buddies, things you see, viz, currents, weights and lots of other useful stuff!
People who do not bother to document their dives really have no knowledge of what they did at any certain time and really have no real data on their diving experience!
To me, if a diver comes to me and he cannot produce any diving background info then its obvious that he is a basic open water diver and will be treated as such! If you have no logged dives then you can only be an Open Water Diver as you MUST have so many logged dives to go up the chain!
How many dives have you had? Oh, so many I cannot count! Will I believe you, No way!

Back
Top Bottom