compass-where do you keep yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I see you mean. Even in that case, wouldn't you agree that strapping the compass to the rig is addressing the symptom and not the problem?

I have concole mounted compass but after gettin wrist mount I will never go back to console mounted.

For years, I wore it mounted on my left wrist. Recently I switched to a retractor mounted on my right shoulder D-ring. Its the best change that I have made in my configuration in the last few years.
I can hold it in a position that is easy to read while at the same time observing my depth gauge. When I was younger, the wrist mount worked great, but in the last year or so, it became increasingly difficult to read my compass when it was on my wrist, especially in low light conditions.
If I am in clear water with EZ natural navigation or in familiar environs, it is up against my chest and out of the way. Since its clipped to the BC, it goes on every dive.

Gombessa:
Even in that case, wouldn't you agree that strapping the compass to the rig is addressing the symptom and not the problem?

No more so than using a wrist mounted compass.

If you need an accurate compass, use a compass board. A wrist mounted compass is a compromise. It makes the compass a little less accurate, but more convenient, so you're more likely to actually take it with you. A compass in a console is another step, slightly less accurate than wrist mounted, but more convenient, so you're more likely to actually take it with you.

Well, there's a difference between "convenient to use" and "convenient to don." Convenient to don really isn't part of my equation if the level of precision is required. Something that is needed during a dive should be taught and disciplined to be carried on the dive regardless of how inconvenient it is to strap on.

If for some reason you need the accuracy of a compass board, you should definitely bring that. But if you just need a general compass, the lesson should be "make sure you bring a general compass" and not "attach it here because it's OK to feel you can't be bothered to bring something necessary for the dive."

Mine's retractible, mounted on my right BC strap. It's there when I need it, not there when I don't need it. It's been off my BC maybe twice in nine years. If it ever breaks, I'll get another retractible.

My compass is mounted on a large slate along with a pencil and a small barrel clip. It usually stays in a pocket mounted on my wings harness. If I'm using it for navigation I can take it out and clip it to a D ring. If not, it stays in the pocket and out of the way.
I don't mount anything on my wrist. That way I can grab lobsters with both hands.:eyebrow:

Depends....

Beach dives in SoCal - SK7 in Deep See bungied holder on right wrist.
Boat dives - SK7 on retractor on left shoulder. I am a rightie, so having it accessible to my right hand is a main focus. I use natural nav all the time, but I ALWAYS have a compass too. Just no reason not to in my book.

I recently got the Vyper Air (has an e-compass), but I will still use my SK7 until I feel very comfortable with the e-compass. Even then.... ?

I have both wrist mounted and console mounted compasses. I prefer console mount. I can shoot and maintain azimuth a lot easier with my console held at eyes level and centered than trying to do the same thing with the wrist. But they are workable either way. The console mounted compass stays with my regulator set that has the console mounted air integrated dive computer, and the wrist mounted compass stays with the regulator set that has the hoseless air integrated dive computer.

Gombessa:
But if you just need a general compass, the lesson should be "make sure you bring a general compass" and not "attach it here because it's OK to feel you can't be bothered to bring something necessary for the dive."

A compass in a console gets me where I need to be quite nicely. When I need more accuracy, I'll use a compass board. The wrist mount is an unnecessary middle ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom