What do you want in an "online" dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Paper logs are a hassle and therefore have stopped keeping paper logs. I've used a online divelog from divelogonline.com (which appears to be dead now), but over the last year or so, I've been slowly developing my own. It's not pretty right now, but it's functional. I'd like to add some more features and make it open source so that individuals can host it where ever they want. Right now it's it's utilizing PHP/MySQL.

Some of the features that I've been thinking about implementing are:

* Automatically calculate altitude corrected depth based on altitude that is provided by the user.
* Automatically calculate CNS/OTU's for dives.
* Upload capability from dive computers - This is something that I would need to get with somebody else to write the code for, but this could possibly be the most useful/time saving feature.

Here is a link to the basic log:

MyDiveLog v0.01 - Short List

You can click on the dive number and it will give you more detail. If you were going to use an online based dive log, what else would you want? Would it be useful to you?

I would recquire a box to put comments in. Also i would perhaps have a feature to link dives together and to have surface intervals as well. Water temperatures are useful i find. And perhaps have a menu where people can choose themselves what items they want to put into their log.

oh i just saw u could click on the number of the dive to get more info. disregard some of the stuff i just wrote :p

You should also be able to use the metric system. So implement that as an option. In Europe we dont use PSI but BAR and we dont use feet but meters. same with kilos and pounds.

4 posts... this will be my last. I would also have some form of rating of the dive. And i would like to see a function much like the Star-function you get from having a gmail.

You should also be able to use the metric system. So implement that as an option. In Europe we dont use PSI but BAR and we dont use feet but meters. same with kilos and pounds.

As it's setup now, that can easily be done, since you just type in the numbers when entering the log information. It's definitely something that I'll take into consideration as I develop it further. :) Thanks!

Some feature suggestions that I've received so far are:

* Dive classification - Such as wreck, cave, open water
* Dive statistics - Basically a compilation of how many fresh water, salt water, cave, wreck, open water, doubles, deco, stage dives, etc have been completed.
* multi-platform availability (MAC, Windows, Linux) - The actual data would be hosted via a hosting service provider and viewed via a web page. However, software that would provide the ability to upload dives from your computer would need an application to be installed on your PC. This would need to be programmed in a portable language (like Java), but could be done.
* Ability to perform backups - This could be implemented by being able to download the database information (not easily recreated) via a cvs file format that could be burned to a CD for backups. Files that could be easily recreated such as php and java files could be downloaded again.
* Ability to switch between metric and imperial
* Dive rating system

Paper logs are a hassle and therefore have stopped keeping paper logs. I've used a online divelog from divelogonline.com (which appears to be dead now), but over the last year or so, I've been slowly developing my own. It's not pretty right now, but it's functional. I'd like to add some more features and make it open source so that individuals can host it where ever they want. Right now it's it's utilizing PHP/MySQL.

Some of the features that I've been thinking about implementing are:

* Automatically calculate altitude corrected depth based on altitude that is provided by the user.
* Automatically calculate CNS/OTU's for dives.
* Upload capability from dive computers - This is something that I would need to get with somebody else to write the code for, but this could possibly be the most useful/time saving feature.

Here is a link to the basic log:

MyDiveLog v0.01 - Short List

You can click on the dive number and it will give you more detail. If you were going to use an online based dive log, what else would you want? Would it be useful to you?
I understand the desire to create a better software. It often drives me.

Have you checked software currently available? Last week I downloaded phpDivinglog, but have not installed it on the server, or tested it yet.

There may be some modules or code you can use for your project or improve on...

SourceForge.net: phpDivingLog

It's GNU and LGPL and also translates to Danish, Dutch, English and German

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom