Correct bolt snap for Halcyon Scout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you seen how thick the DUI compressed neoprene gloves are? They are so comfortable and my hands stay really nice and warm or should I say comfortable in these gloves.

Anyone else use this size bolt snap for their backup light? If so, are you also using a thick glove?

Thanks,

MG

But those aren't with stainless steel springs, right?

They last just as long as the ones I buy from my LDS, and I think they might even be a little smoother. I'm not really sure what the spring is, and as long as they work, I don't really care.

Tom

They last just as long as the ones I buy from my LDS, and I think they might even be a little smoother. I'm not really sure what the spring is, and as long as they work, I don't really care.
I've had equally good success with the SS snaps from Lowe's, as well as with their SS double enders (in fact, I just bought four more double enders yesterday). I actually prefer the Lowe's double enders for spools, as they are a little smaller than what usually comes on the spool. Bottom line is - if it works, it works. It shouldn't matter where you bought it.

I'll third the quality of the Lowe's bolt snaps. I have some that are three years old and still work as good as the day I bought them. I just go through the bin and pick out the ones with the smoothest action.

I rarely dive salt water so I can't say how they would preform after frequent exposure there.

Hunter

I use the smallest bolts I can get, I ordered a bunch from Nix dog collars, they work ok, but the ones I get for 2 to 3 times the price at the dive shop are even smaller. I was taught in my Fundies class years ago that the snap bolt on the back up lights are gate in, and anything else (primary reg, primary light, primary light doubleender, all go gate out

I use the smallest bolts I can get, I ordered a bunch from Nix dog collars, they work ok, but the ones I get for 2 to 3 times the price at the dive shop are even smaller. I was taught in my Fundies class years ago that the snap bolt on the back up lights are gate in, and anything else (primary reg, primary light, primary light doubleender, all go gate out

Ditto for me. I have one small bolt snap that is ideal - everything is small except for the thumb gate, which is about the same size as those on the larger snaps. That one feature makes small snaps just as easy to use as large ones.

I was also taught in fundies that the backup light is gate-in.

I've used the cheap brass clips from Home Depot for 10-20 yrs in the ocean. I have never had a clip fail due to the spring rusting. I've got many clips on different BC's, tools, hoses, lights etc. and never had a problem. Maybe a full SS clip is better, but the brass ones must have SS springs, i assume. The brass barrel WILL corrode some and from time to time, I will shoot some WD-40 or something down the slot and then have to loosen up the clip.

Is Lowe's DIR and Home Depot not?

How long ago did you guys take the Fundies class? All the recent Fundies students I have seen (last 3-4 years) were taught "gate out". The reason is that it is much easier to snag the D-ring when reclipping the light. My own experience bears this out (in fact, I do everything that way).

If you took the class recently, who was your instructor?

I've used the cheap brass clips from Home Depot for 10-20 yrs in the ocean. I have never had a clip fail due to the spring rusting. I've got many clips on different BC's, tools, hoses, lights etc. and never had a problem. Maybe a full SS clip is better, but the brass ones must have SS springs, i assume. The brass barrel WILL corrode some and from time to time, I will shoot some WD-40 or something down the slot and then have to loosen up the clip.

Is Lowe's DIR and Home Depot not?

Brass sucks because it will sharpen over time/use. You end up with either minor slices in your thumbs or slices in your drygloves.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom