Get the word out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NC diving is great expect when you drive down from Maryland only to get blown out.

I think this is key for traveling divers. If you travel to dive in NC, you could dive every day or you could get blown out every day. That's a tough proposition for someone spending a bunch of cash to get here. Last season, only 3 or 4 of my offshore trips went out, out of about 15 that I had scheduled. This year has been much better so far (3 for 3 until now).

I think this is also why there are so many cave divers in NC. When we get blown out, we just go south and play in the caves for the weekend instead :)

Diving conditions here can be pretty sporty, but it's all part of the fun. Last trip out I think only 50% of the boat got in the water, the rest were blowing their breakfast over the side into the 4-6ft seas. We got beat up pretty good on deco, but at least we weren't seasick on a boat for 8 hours like the folks topside :)

My numbers on blowouts aren't much different than yours. BUT....they come from picking a day here and a day there all year long.

If you pick 5 consecutive days during the best time of the year, your odds will be much much better. You will go diving, and you will see some pretty cool stuff.

Diving conditions here can be pretty sporty, but it's all part of the fun. Last trip out I think only 50% of the boat got in the water, the rest were blowing their breakfast over the side into the 4-6ft seas. We got beat up pretty good on deco, but at least we weren't seasick on a boat for 8 hours like the folks topside :)

Nice....I hope you don't make your living in sales..:D

Lol, sorry man. It's never really like that. We usually have flat seas with a tailwind both ways and 100ft vis :)

I admit, I have not read the entire thread, but I have dived a fair sampling of the diving in the easy reach of NC, and I have to say hands down, the NC wrecks are the best diving within 500 miles. Thats why I drive 9 hours several time a year to ride Olympus.

Al is correct, NC is for real divers. But if you are up to the task, and willing to make the investment in effort, you will not be disappointed.

Guess I am not a REAL diver then....

Back
Top Bottom