Lake Gordon in Bedford, Pa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howe719

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright this will be a hit or miss question since i really doubt i will find anyone on here that will know the answer to this question but i am answering anyway. I live in Bedford, Pa actually south of bedford in a small small town named centerville, pa located only 15 min. from cumberland, Md. There is a lake called Lake gordon or same might know it as coon lake. It has alot of names i think. I have lived here all my life and heard some stories about the lake. The lake serves as cumberlands drinking reservoir so therefore it was man made years ago. There is a upper and lower lake divided by a dam and there is a lower dam which the water plant is located right beside the lower dam which spills over into a small creek. I have no information on the real depth i have heard around 30 feet but the spillways are 75 or 90 feel high so i am not sure. I would really LOVE to dive this place since i live 5 minutes from it but i have no one to get permission from. Anyone know who to contact. I have asked a friend of my paps because he belongs to the fishing commission and he i could not dive it but he may of just been telling me. You are aloud to fish on it with battery powered boats NO motors. If anyone has information or knows who i could ask about diving that would be Awesome.

here are some links that i can find about the place

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/pennsylvania/bedford/evitts-creek/lake-gordon/

lake gordon bedford, pa - Google Search

I'll ask at the next dive club meeting. I've never dove there, but the guys I dive with have been diving around the Cumberland area for many years, so there's a chance one of them have been there.

Better yet, if you just live in Centerville, you definitely need to get involved in the Western Maryland Dive Club. Check out the link in my signature. We'd love to see you at our next meeting. There should be one coming up in April.

that would be awesome.. i would join up with the club but i just signed with a allan myers a civil construction company out by philly so i will be moving out there in the next month. All my family still lives in centerville so i will be coming back alot to visit. If you ever want to dive it or find information i would love to dive it because i grew up around there and i have always been wondering what was in the lake thank you.. by the way if you ever want to dive dutch springs send me a pm because i will only be living about 40 mins away ha. thanks alex

Howe,

I spoke to some guys last night who have dove there, and wouldn't recommend it. 1st, you have to get special permission, from the city of Cumberland I believe since it's their main water supply, and 2nd, there is little to no visibility, and not anything to see if there was. The guys I spoke to just dive it occasionally to check the flood release gates for the city.

If you wanna drive a few more miles, we dive Rocky Gap a good bit. It's cold, and not much to see, but visibility isn't bad and it's wet.

Good luck with the new job BTW.

Alright thank you for the info. Yeah i didnt think about rocky gap that would be cool. Anything cool to see there? How deep is it? About the cumberland dam i still would like to know what was in it because i heard people talk about houses and things so i didnt know it that was true. Why didnt they recommend it just because i have to get permission from cumberland or because of dangers? Like i said before i guess i am just excited to know about what is in the lake because i grew up around it. thank you so much for getting the information that you did i really appreciate it.

There isn't a lot in Rocky Gap, but it's easy diving, and good practice. I think the deepest I have been there is maybe mid 55' or so, but I think it may be 70ish' in some spots. Only problem with the Gap, is it's so stinkin cold. Once you get below 20', it's in the 50s even in the warmest months.

The guys didn't recommend Gordon mostly because of poor visibility, and they didn't mention anything about any old structures being down there.

Hey Howe - I grew up in Cumberland - left there many many years ago, but i live in South Jersey now - been diving for 2 yrs now - not a lot. Let me know if u need any info. I use Blue Horizons in Philly - great friends and good local knowledge. Hopefully you get to enjoy the Jersey Shore dives soon!!

Back
Top Bottom