Split fins/Frog Kick...No problems..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I did something wrong. Would you believe the first was just a draft?

Not enough sleep maybe.

Hey cavediver,

Yep if I remember correctly it was you. You were trying out a new drysuit and were attempting to doff and don. I think crisspete was there with his new GF. We're going out on Sat. Here's the thread if your intrested.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t40192/s.html

As to alt kicks, conditions and type of fins I don't think that one fin fits all is the main point and people should dive what you like and works for you but I don't think it's fair just to knock them all (and the people who use them).

I know it can be done (I have done it in the pool), but it just isn't efficient. While you're at it, make sure you are wearing a set of 104s and a drysuit. I say it's time to put your money where your mouth is. Provide us proof of how easy it is for you. Until that happens, I have to believe it's all talk.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Well, once again...no problem.

Well I tried to frog kick a pair of twin jets today, and it works every bit as good as my jets.......

If you duct tape the split:D

I don't understand why people dislike the split fins so much. I went out and got a pair of the liquid blue Atomic splits, and they have been nothing short of awesome. I went back to my old paddle fins for one dive so that my girlfriend could try out my Atomics, and I was miserable. Maybe some people like having needless resistance when kicking, but I don't. I can move so much quicker with a lot less effort when I've got my splits on. Just once out in the water with my Atomics, and my girlfriend was hooked on them too. Now she has her own pair of liquid blues. It just makes the whole diving experience much more relaxing and fun...plus it's fun smoking other divers who think paddle fins can be just as fast. :D

I dont dislike splits at all. I have a pair of bios, and they are great in a single, i can zoom around all day long.

Put on a set of doubles, a couple stages and a dry suit and they lose the advantage. With this additional drag they become pretty inefficient.

I think splits are a high rpm, low torque engine.
Jets are Low rpm, high torque.

Sorry thats the only analogy I could think of. A porsche engine works great pushing a porshe, but not real good in a semi. The whole problem with the split vs. paddle debate is all the types of diving involved.

In my experience splits work pretty well with a short flutter, single tank and wetsuit (minimum drag). I dive mine all the time in this configuration.

Strap on doubles or a rebreather, a dry suit and stages and youve effectively doubled your drag. Its here that I notice a huge difference in the effectiveness of the splits.

For the record I cannot frog kick as well in splits in either configurationand reverse is out of the question.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
Hey cavediver,

Yep if I remember correctly it was you. You were trying out a new drysuit and were attempting to doff and don. I think crisspete was there with his new GF. We're going out on Sat. Here's the thread if your intrested.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t40192/s.html

Yes, that was me. That was my first actual dive with my new drysuit and I wanted to do a SAC test just to see how I was faring.

Me and the drysuit have come to much better terms since that day.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
As to alt kicks, conditions and type of fins I don't think that one fin fits all is the main point and people should dive what you like and works for you but I don't think it's fair just to knock them all (and the people who use them).

Thats exactly one of the reasons I'm interested in seeing how your splits perform. I personally haven't tried splits, but the fins I'm using now outperform everything else I've tried and they work well for any type of kick. I probably won't make Saturday, so I'll try to catch ya'll next time.

I remember you ordering it. How do you like it?

Hallmac

I own and dive in SP splits and Mares Quattros. If I was only allowed to take one pair of fins, it would be my Quattros. Ain't nobody in the water that can outmanuever me in my Quattros!! I can do damn near anything in them! They also give me the 'THUMP' I need to swim underwater quickly to anything.

The splits do work better at the surface.

Frog kicks are better with the Quattros.

Choose your fins by the type of diving you are doing.

I'm lucky enough to own a set of both and can understand the difference each will make on a particular dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom