In response to TsandM's message regarding gas planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky they didn't get bent either.......this is just an example. I don't know their actual profile, but they must've been down for more than a few minutes being they exhausted their cylinders from depth and poor breathing habits, while this one leaves air left over. This profile is calculated on a .9 bottom sac rate and .5 deco, and they apparently may have been breathing heavier than such.

I have a friend that told me her DM took them on a wall dive down to 200ft in Belize with single AL80's on air, and a "spare" AL80 for deco hanging off the boat if you happen to breath to much. She REALLY, really, did not like my reaction..........

Again, I'm not saying this WAS their profile. Just giving an example of how quick you can obligate a staged decompression profile

V-Planner 3.84 by Ross Hemingway,
VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM - B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 150ft (3) Air 50ft/min descent.
Level 150ft 7:00 (10) Air 1.14 ppO2, 150ft ead
Asc to 40ft (13) Air -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 40ft 0:20 (14) Air 0.46 ppO2, 40ft ead
Stop at 30ft 2:00 (16) Air 0.40 ppO2, 30ft ead
Stop at 20ft 8:00 (24) Air 0.33 ppO2, 20ft ead
Surface (24) Air -30ft/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 80ft

OTU's this dive: 13
CNS Total: 4.7%

64.8 cu ft Air
64.8 cu ft TOTAL

I would like to know if this was brought to the attention of the dive guide when they were back on the boat. Probably not.....:depressed: Actually, it is pretty wierd. It's one thing to exceed 70' and to go 90+, but 150'?

I recall diving a wall in Nassau, maybe my twentieth dive or so. The "Tongue of the Ocean" supposedly goes down to 6,000 feet there. The dive plan was, IIRC, 65' for folks like me on tables, 80' for folks with computers. I was looking at something, swimming along, and I felt a tug on my fin. My wife was above me and had swum down to get me. She was jabbing her finger at her console emphatically. I looked down at my console and I was at 85'.

I had lost track of my buddy and my depth, and I was 20' deeper than plan in a heartbeat. If my wife was following me instead of keeping an eye on me, we might have both drifted on down. So... I can really see this happening and I think a wall is a seductively dangerous place for the inexperienced.

Last edited:
I recall diving a wall in Nassau, maybe my twentieth dive or so. The "Tongue of teh Ocean" goes down to 6,000 feet there. I was looking at something , swimming along, and I felt a tug on my fin. My wife was above me and had swum down to get me. She was jabbing her finger at her console emphatically. I looked down at my console and I was at 85'. The dive plan was, IIRC, 65' for folks on tables, 80' for folks with computers.

I had lost track of my buddy and my depth, and I was 20' deeper than plan in a heartbeat. If my wife was following me instead of keeping an eye on me, we might have both drifted on down. So... I can really see this happening and I think a wall is a seductively dangerous place for the inexperienced.

Clear water can do that to ya. I remember doing a wall dive in Bali in 2001 ... when both Cheng and I were fairly new divers. I got so fascinated by all the incredible scenery I stopped paying attention to my gauges. When I finally thought to look at them I was at 137 feet ... :shocked2:

Looking up, Cheng was swimming above me giving me an emphatic thumb and ... as only a wife can ... "THE LOOK".

I didn't go that deep again until I started tech training ... about five years and 1500 dives later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow! Holy S**t.

Cool byproduct of underwater video cameras is that it turns just another close call story into a gripping teaching moment. My wife wondered what I was yelling about when I saw he was at 400psi.

I haven't read the whole thread - skimming just before I go to my last DM class tonight - but obviously narced out of their mind, too.......

Oh my!

As a new diver, this video sent chills right down to my toes.

I have an underwater housing for my point and shoot, but had resolved before seeing this to spend the needed time to get better bouyancy control. More dives and more experience through more diving this year. That is/was my #1 priority before worrying about snapping pics.

This video strenghens that resolve.

Mind your gauges, plan your dive and dive your plan.

Yikes.

Like NW Bob, one of my early wall dives was in water so clear and warm that the choice to go up or down seemed immaterial. Here at home it gets plenty dark past sixty feet, no attraction, no problem. But in the Indian Ocean I heard my new dive computer's alarm go off as I passed 130 (the max rec depth back then) so I started back up.

What I could have used was beginner training that stressed, "never go deeper on a whim (especially on a wall) without consulting your gauges and considering your plan."

-Bryan

I recall diving a wall in Nassau, maybe my twentieth dive or so. The "Tongue of the Ocean" supposedly goes down to 6,000 feet there. The dive plan was, IIRC, 65' for folks like me on tables, 80' for folks with computers. I was looking at something, swimming along, and I felt a tug on my fin. My wife was above me and had swum down to get me. She was jabbing her finger at her console emphatically. I looked down at my console and I was at 85'.

I'm so scared that I'm going to do this. It's in my DNA. I'm a dawdler. La la la... following a fish ... 20 feet can disappear pretty quickly.

I will give myself the "focus yourself, damnit" talk (check your air, check your depth, where's your buddy, what's the time?) but as soon as that's done, I'm following the next cute little fishy.:goldfish:

I will give myself the "focus yourself, damnit" talk (check your air, check your depth, where's your buddy, what's the time?) but as soon as that's done, I'm following the next cute little fishy.:goldfish:

It's largely a matter of discipline and practice. Even if you're easily distracted, if you make it a habit to glance at your gauges and look for your buddy a couple of times each minute, you'll eventually be much less likely to completely forget when something interesting swims in front of you.

Considering the true value of most Youtube videos it is likely that that was staged.

As my son would say, "Stupid should hurt."

There, it almost did.

But, seriously, how freakin' stupid can you get?!?! Oh. Wait. There was that couple that one day on our boat at Little Cayman. They hired their own DM to dive with them, because the husband was tired of holding his wife's hand on dives. I mean that literally, not figuratively. The DM had to hold ("experienced certified diver") wife's hand the entire dive. She even had to be told that she had to deflate her BC to submerge.

There's no agency to blame for that level of stupid. An instructor perhaps. But more likely, it's simply someone (and her complicit husband) that simply has no respect for the dangers involved in diving and should not be allowed to dive for her own good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom